Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm Question activating and deactivating?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:12 PM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Alarm Question activating and deactivating?

I am currious why my car beebs twice when I lock the doors, The lights do not flash either when locking or unlocking. When I first bought the car it had only one Beep and the lights flashed.... any ideas? Is the alarm now DEactivated?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 12:25 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Alarm Question activating and deactivating?

ORIGINAL: GA05GT

I am currious why my car beebs twice when I lock the doors, The lights do not flash either when locking or unlocking. When I first bought the car it had only one Beep and the lights flashed.... any ideas? Is the alarm now DEactivated?

Thanks
My car is in the shop right now so I can't check it out. But have you checked out the owners manual. It helps sometimes but other times it is just confusing. I wanted to stop my headlight from coming on when I unlock the door with the keyfob so I followed the manuals instructions but it didn't stop it.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I tried some of the steps in the owners manual, but nothing changed.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GA05GT

Thanks
I assume you're talking about the active alarm. The first time you hit the lock button, it locks the doors and sets the alarm. It also flashes the parking lights to indicate that the alarm's set, or doesn't flash them to indicate that the alarm is not set because a door or the trunk is open. The second time you press the button (it has to be within three seconds), it beeps the horn as a confirmation. If it beeps once, the alarm is set. If it beeps twice, the alarm is not set. When you unlock, it turns on the headlights, parking, and interior lights and leaves them on for maybe 30 seconds (It doesn't say how long in the manual) or until you turn the key. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work, and mine does work that way.

So, with that background, the fact that yours beeps twice means that the alarm is not setting for some reason. Do you get a warning that the trunk's open or something when you start the car? I don't know how it senses that the trunk is open, but perhaps there's a problem in that area.

Below is the section from the owner's manual that talks about locking the doors and setting the alarm. (There's a small graphic that didn't copy that's after the word "press" that is a picture of a lock like the one on the lock button, so I put in text for that.)

Locking the doors
1. Press [the lock button] and release to lock all the doors. Note: The interior lamps
will turn off (unless the dome lamp control is in the full-up position),
and the turn signal lamps will flash if all doors, trunk and hood (if
equipped with active anti-theft system) are closed and locked. If the
vehicle is not equipped with the active anti-theft system, the turn signal
lamps will flash if all doors and the trunk are closed and locked.
2. Press [the lock button] and release again within three seconds to confirm that all the
doors are closed and locked. Note: The doors will lock again, the horn
will chirp once and the turn signal lamps will flash once more.
If any of the doors, trunk or hood (if equipped with active anti-theft
system) are not properly closed the horn will make two quick chirps and
the turn signal lamps will not flash. If the vehicle is not equipped with
the active anti-theft system, the horn will make two quick chirps and the
turn signal lamps will not flash if the doors and the trunk are not closed
and locked.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:50 PM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. nice write up.
My trunk is closed and locked, I checked the little light sensor to see if it was properly working and all is good. Then I moved to the doors, both doors lock when I press lock on the keypad. From there I moved to the hood, I could not find a sensor under there....unless I wasn't looking hard enough. Other than that it all LOOKS fine like it is working.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

You didn't say so, but it sounds like you have the active alarm. Try this: Open one of the windows and then lock the car with the remote. Wait 30 seconds, and then stick your hand in the window and wave it around. If the alarm goes off, then it's setting the alarm but it's lying to you. At least your alarm is getting set. If it doesn't go off, that's even worse. Either way, I'd take it to the dealer. Hope your warranty is still in effect.

Hmmm... Anyone know how the alarm senses that the hood and trunk are closed?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:32 PM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

Well I apprieciate all the information, and yes it is still under factory warranty. Now I just have to find a day to go. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:43 AM
JibStyle
1st Gear Member

yeah i say take it to the dealer, the active antitheft beeps twice if a door or trunk (and i'm assuming hood) is not closed all the way. So maybe you've got a screwed up door/trunk/hood sensor