Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PAINFUL EXPERIENCE

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:05 PM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: PAINFUL EXPERIENCE

ORIGINAL: blk05stang

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Where did you have it installed in the Chicago area so I know to avoid them if I decide to get a SC? I hope it wasn't Sutton HP because thats who I was thinking letting do the install.
It was suttonhp. [:@]
believe me if it was to do it all over again I would go somewhere else.
Totally disappointed in their service. horrible customer service.
I picked the car up last night. they ended up replacing the belt with a shorter one.
the car feels a lot better than the first time i picked it up. however i'm not so comfortable with the tune.
the shifting points seem to be really hard on the tranny. it might just be bc of the s/c. i don't know. as i said this is the first s/c-ed car i ever had.
I will definitelly take it to a different tuner and get an additional custom tune just for comparison
to give you a feel of how everything went down.
after spending $3400 at their shop I arrived to pick it up the first time and I was told to go to the cashier pay and pick up my car.
No talking about the installation, no heads up on anything absolutely nothing...
I felt like I was treated like shiet. the only problem is that there are no other shops I ever heard of in the Chicago area that I would feel comfortable taking it to.
Maybe Brenspeed, or Livernois Motorsport.
Brenspeed - heard only good things about them, but not sure if they are good with saleens
Livernois Motorsport - 4 hrs away,talked to them on the phone, they said they would call me back... never got a call back.
Any suggestions?????
Old 06-06-2007, 04:10 PM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cnapsys

ORIGINAL: blk05stang

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Where did you have it installed in the Chicago area so I know to avoid them if I decide to get a SC? I hope it wasn't Sutton HP because thats who I was thinking letting do the install.
It was suttonhp. [:@]
believe me if it was to do it all over again I would go somewhere else.
Totally disappointed in their service. horrible customer service.
I picked the car up last night. they ended up replacing the belt with a shorter one.
the car feels a lot better than the first time i picked it up. however i'm not so comfortable with the tune.
the shifting points seem to be really hard on the tranny. it might just be bc of the s/c. i don't know. as i said this is the first s/c-ed car i ever had.
I will definitelly take it to a different tuner and get an additional custom tune just for comparison
to give you a feel of how everything went down.
after spending $3400 at their shop I arrived to pick it up the first time and I was told to go to the cashier pay and pick up my car.
No talking about the installation, no heads up on anything absolutely nothing...
I felt like I was treated like shiet. the only problem is that there are no other shops I ever heard of in the Chicago area that I would feel comfortable taking it to.
Brenspeed - heard only good things about them, but not sure if they are good with saleens
Livernois Motorsport - 4 hrs away,talked to them on the phone, they said they would call me back... never got a call back.
Any suggestions?????
Dear Cnapsys,

Sounds like you live south of Chicago, but I had my Saleen Supercharger installed at Larry Roush Ford in Elk Grove, ILwhich is northwest of the city near O-Hare Airport about 1-1/2 years ago..

Never had any problems with installation, belts, etc...

Had to get a JDM tune because the Saleen tune is terrible...

Even changed pulley sizes and put another belt on because of the new pulley size...

After that NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!

PM me if you have more questions or concerns...

Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 PM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

I sent you a PM dave.
Here's the latest update.
While coming back home today after running some errands while taking a left turn I lost the power steering again, only to notice that the new, SHORTER belt came off again.
I looked at it and it seems to have ripped off along one of the edges. I called Doug at Sutton HP and they had a flat bed pick me up 1 hr later.
This is freakin' ridiculous. I'm sooooooooooo pissed off.....
Dissapointed and frustrated with the whole experience I had with Sutton HP. Clearly this is the first Saleen S/C they have ever installed, although they told me they did this before.
I don't know what to do. I'm affraid to go anywhere with the car. It's as fckin unreliable as a piece of shiet.
Any advice is greatly appreciated
Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i feel for ya, really. it seems to me that so far, sutton is
taking care of you. sometimes shiet happens.
maybe there's more to the story you've left out, but
from what i've read, sutton hasn't let you down

i hope all get's resolved, you'll love the car when all
the bugs are worked out

Old 06-06-2007, 11:26 PM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

well they did let me down by not making it right the first time. hell not even the second time.
don't get me wrong I paid for the freaking tow from Iron Mountain to Green Bay - $260
and from Green Bay I rented the U-Haul truck and trailer for another $250
As I said I felt like I was treated bad.
After you spend $3400 with a shop you expect at least a chat with the guy after everything is done. Not to find a note that you need to go to the cashier, pay and pick your car up.
Not to mention the fear you have every freaking day that the car might just break down on you. Hell, I can't even go anywhere without thinking that first.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

oh, didn't note the towing costs, my mistake

geez, i hope it all gets fixed real soon. we all
hate to see one of our brethren with a sick pony

Old 06-07-2007, 01:11 AM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

I know what you mean man. You keep hearing these stories and it never occursthat it can happen to you.
It didn't even cross my mind that they won't be able to do this right. Or figureout what the problem was after the belt came off the first time.
It sucks *** big time!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

So i dropped her off last night. Sent Doug an email as there was no one else there to talk to. I hope this works out and they check everything. From what everybody's told me it is a problem with a pulley not being aligned or locked or a fcked up tensioner. I hope they can track it down and fix it.
I'd hate to take it to someone else and have to pay for the freaking install again.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 PM
JimC

(snip)
I will definitelly take it to a different tuner and get an additional custom tune just for comparison to give you a feel of how everything went down.
(snip)
the only problem is that there are no other shops I ever heard of in the Chicago area that I would feel comfortable taking it to.
Any suggestions?????
If youwere considering coming over to Livernois, you shouldcheck out Lidio at Alternative Auto -- he really knows Mustangs and tuning. www.alternativeauto.com. He is very busy, and getting ready to move the shop so can be a little difficult to get ahold of soyou have to keep trying right now.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Hang in there bud.... I know what you're going thru believe me! I had a similar experience with my Vortech. It was installed by a Ford dealer. I blew 2 engines in a couple of weeks. I sent the car to someone else after the second failure to find out that they probably just tapped the freaking oil pan without cleaning it. A piece of metal found it way into an oil passage going to the bank#1....... That cholesterol gave my car 2 heart attacks!

Let's just say I'll be swapping the blower on the Shelby myself...

Pat

So, this weekend I got a couple of friends and drove up to WI to go whitewater rafting.
On our way back, about 60mi north of Green Bay, all of a sudden I lost the power steering and the engine started to over heat (wasn't in full boost).
I pull over... the serpentine belt came off. Ofcourse we're in the middle of nowhere and I don't have a breaker bar to loosen up the tensioner.
I walk for about 1 hr to a gas station get the damn thing, come back, put the belt on...and everything seemed to be working fine. For a couple of miles that is.
All the lights on the dash board started to go berserk. I pull over again... get the sct xcal....NO CODES.
I pull the power cable from the battery off. put it back on. reloaded the tune from the shop with no errors. start the car...everything ok for about 1 min at idle. Then again the lights start to go crazy.
My concern is that the shop that installed the S/C did not use the right belt. I think the Saleen /SC comes standard with the 4' pulley and I had them install a 3.6'. I'm not sure if everything is taken care by the tensioner or if a smaller belt should have been used.(otherwise I don't see why the freaking belt would come off).
Anyway...I call Allstate get a flat bed to Green Bay ($260/60mi)I drop it at a dealer there. I got a rental and drove my friends back to Chicago.
Next morning I go back to Green Bay, get a U-Haul truck with a trailer (real piece of shieeet), put the car on the damn thing and 6 hrs later I dropped it at the shop.
I talked to the guy on the phone and told him that their work sucks. He's going to look at it today and he'll give me a call back.
I just need some help to know what could've went wrong.
Could the tune mess up everything? This is the first S/C car I ever had and I did feel a few things that maybe should've been a concern.
The shifting points seemed to be a little hard on the tranny
The S/C would not always go into boost at 2k rpm
Let me know what you guys think. I think I'm screwed anyway as there are no other performance shops in Chicago that I would feel comfortable taking it too.
JDM is so freakin' far and Livernois, I'm not even sure deals with Saleen S/Cs
All in all, I'm pissed off and horribly disappointed. [:'(]

Quick Reply: PAINFUL EXPERIENCE