Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory speaker replacement

Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Default Factory speaker replacement

I've finally decided to replace the factory speakers and had a couple of questions if anyone has done any of this. I'm replacing the door speakers (woofer&tweeter) and the rear deck speakers with Polk Audio db5250. I know everyone has their preferred speakers, but these happen to be mine . I've already replaced the Shaker 1000 HU with a Kenwood EZ-500. I've searched the forum for 2 days and answered a lot of questions I had but came up with more (probably the usual result)

For the tweeters, where are the best locations for a flush mount? I'd like to keep it streamlined and not have to do a surface mount unless I have to.

I've read the horror stories of replacing the door subs, and will avoid that. Several suggestions were to unplug them as they didn't provide much anyway. Just looking for general opinons here, as I think they do give it a little punch.

I'm not real fond of the Kenwood HU I purchased. The iPod functions are not intuitive and I lost my AUX input in the console. Short of switching back to the factory HU, what is a decent HU (preferably double-din size) with good iPod functionality and bluetooth capability for under $500?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Old 06-06-2007, 06:33 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Factory speaker replacement

Also, any opinions on Dynamat or other sound deadening materials would be appreciated. Is it worth the expense?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:33 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

If you would like to save money and keep the kenwood for now, you have an Aux Input that is probably rca jacks in on the rear. Just goto radio shack or best buy, or any place like that, and get a Y connector, rca to headphone jack and run it from behind and into your console. And you would have to go into the menu of the HU and turn Aux In to "ON".

I too bought a Kenwood HU and got the ipod adapter. I am not happy with it as you can't scroll through the menu and know what you are selecting. Right now I deal with it. Some time this fall, Harman Kardon is coming out with their new Drive And Play II. I liked my Drive and Play, but when I switch out the stock radio, I put the HK D&P back int the truck and it is staying there. The new version will have a color menu screen and bluetooth ready.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

I think the dynamat is worth it for rattles ... for regular speakers I'm not totally convinced. It helps some but maybe go with a knock off brand or something.

Personally, I think the door subs do add a little kick and if they're already hooked up, I'd just leave them. No reason to take them out really.

For the rear speaker replacement, I hope you found this: https://mustangforums.com/m_2586959/tm.htm

As for the tweeter, what I did was hold it up in various locations till I found one that sounded the best on my last car. Most poeple will mount them top of the dash, A pillar or I've seen them in the stock door flush mount next to the stock speaker. I wish I could find a picture of it because I've seen one recently but it is escaping me.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:43 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

I just wanted to throw up a website of the Harman Kardon things I was talking about.
It shows both models.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx
Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 PM
CLUBSFIT
2nd Gear Member

I have the door subs amplified, and they had enough where I could free up my trunk space and take out my 2 10's. Also spend the $$ on the dynamat, I did the inside of the doors, and behind the rear speakers (convertible). Made it night and day.