Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted window trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:09 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Default Painted window trim

So Iam going to sand down and prep my mirrors for the body shop to save some cake and have it done faster than leaving my stang there. I also want my window trim painted to match my mustang too. DoI need to sand this down and prep it too or do they just prime base and clear it? AlsoDoes anyone have any instructions to remove the mirrorsfrom the car soI can get started tomorrow?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:02 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Painted window trim

Bump
Old 06-18-2007, 10:47 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Wish I had done my window trim when I got my mirrors painted. Yes - you'll need to sand/prep the trim too.

Here's a painted mirror thread that I believe has a link to the mirror removal instructions buried in there.

https://mustangforums.com/m_3054032/tm.htm

Old 06-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_2603455/tm.htm
Old 06-18-2007, 11:39 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Here's a set of instructinos on how to remove the mirrors and paint them.

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/PaintedMirrors.htm

As far as the window molding, I'm going to try something a little different. A local sign shop has a piece of 3M material that is an exact color match to torch red. My spoiler kept getting scraped and I went to him to ask him about 3M clear bra to put over it after I had it painted. He told me not to bother painting it and sold me a piece of 3M tape for $10. I got enough material to cover the spoiler 3 times and still had some left over. I was thinking about using this on the window trim. I'll post pictures when I'm done. The good thing about it is that if I don't like it, I can just remove it.

Check out the color match on the spoiler in the picture below.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:58 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Hey thanks alot guys, this was real helpful. I will take them off tomorrow and prep them. Hey odiaz tell me how that goes because if so that would be nice. BTW that chrome trim looks sweet!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:55 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the compliment.

Here's a picture before and after of the window trim. I used 3M tape for now, it's a perfect color match. The install took all of 5 minutes and if I don't like it, I can just remove it. What do you think?

Before:

After:

Old 06-21-2007, 01:17 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

I like how it looks with it!!! IMO keep it. Thats a good match.Looking at yours make me wish i got a vert. I sanded the mirrors down and primed them allI need to do is wetsand the primed mirrors tomorrow and get started sandingthe window trim[:'(][:'(] but that will be ALOT easier than mirrors. That antenna delete is staring to look pretty sweet now........
Old 06-21-2007, 04:12 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

One more question I sanded, wetsanded,primed and wetsanded again and they came out GREAT. Its like Glass. Also does anyone know if the window trim can be removed??? I started to sand it with it still on the car andI masked the edges of the car off but iam going to scatch the edges of the paint ifI do it that way even since its masked off the sandpaper rips thorugh the tape. Thanks alot in advance. Also odiaz where canI get that 3m tape the color of torch red? It'll save me so much time ifI just put that tape on the window trim instead of doing it this way and that looks like its painted so its legit looking.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:12 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Bump

Quick Reply: Painted window trim