Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to wash engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 03:08 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default How to wash engine?

Seriously.

People talk about spraying it with water but is that really electrically safe?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How to wash engine?

No, you should not "hose down" your engine. The best way is to have it professionally cleaned. Never, ever wash it down when it's hot!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:24 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Also, I was at a self washer place and they have an option on the sprayer for cleaning engines... I never used it. But one day I saw a guy pop his hood and use the engine cleaning option and spray down his engine... I was confused. How can you do that with all of the electrical stuff? Hmmmm...
Old 06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

I clean my car engine. No problem. Use duct tape to cover electrical connectors carefully. Spray engine degrease. You need 2 bottles. Spray with hose water. Let it dry. Don't spray it when engine is hot.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

the connectors are water tight. when it rains your engine gets wet!. to clean it i just take a paint brush and some engine degreaser. works wonders. then at the end ill take my hose and MIST down the engine just to get some of the extra degreaser off.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:01 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

You can drench your engine with water and it will be perfectly fine. If you ever drive in the rain your engine is getting soaked anyways. Just don't wash it when it's hot.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman2424

You can drench your engine with water and it will be perfectly fine. If you ever drive in the rain your engine is getting soaked anyways. Just don't wash it when it's hot.
Not true. Why do you think there are wheel wells? It is to keep the water from spraying all over the inside of the engine, as well as to keep dirt, rock etc. from kicking up. Driving in rain does NOT drench your engine. Otherwise, steam would be always coming up due to the water on the manifold, headers, etc. My air filter/intake sits behind the front bumper and it does not get wet, and I live in Oregon!
Old 06-22-2007, 04:13 PM
mightymouse
3rd Gear Member

Man i sprayed all my cars under the hood with a power washer and never had a problem. As for the motor being hot I also had a jeep TJ that i used to run through deep water with the motor hot and running and it never hurt it. So i don't think it really matters if the motor is hot or not.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:18 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

ORIGINAL: mustangman2424

Not true. Why do you think there are wheel wells? It is to keep the water from spraying all over the inside of the engine, as well as to keep dirt, rock etc. from kicking up. Driving in rain does NOT drench your engine. Otherwise, steam would be always coming up due to the water on the manifold, headers, etc. My air filter/intake sits behind the front bumper and it does not get wet, and I live in Oregon!
That is to primarily keep the wheels from kicking up rocks and debris on the road from hitting the engine, and yes, it also serves to keep the engine dry. If youlook in the under hood you will see that there are no body panels under the engine keeping it from getting wet, so it does get wet when you drive in rain. Regardless though, car manufacturers make cars so they are basically idiot proof, and I can gurantee you that they are not dumb enough to make an engine that can't get wet.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:24 PM
forrestgump
2nd Gear Member

^^^^^^^^[sm=owned.gif]^^^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: How to wash engine?