Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Stripe Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:13 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Default Racing Stripe Help

I tried installing 10" pre-cut stripes from BSM... Got pissed while trying to run them over theFRONTbumper and ripped them all off (well, I only had the hood done at that point - which was a piece of cake).

While doing to bumper, I peeled back some of the backing paper, as instructedwhen installing near areas where you are to tuck the ends out of sight... HOWEVER, after doing so - I couldn't get them to lay downflat over the contours of the bumper. When I tried to squeegee them flat without the backing paper,theycreased horribly[:@][:@][:@]. And thenI turned into a giant 3-year-old andhad atantrum...After spending over an hour measuring, taping,preping, and lying down the hood stripes - I ripped them off in about 1.5 seconds...

Anyone else have this problem -or- have any tips? I would still like to have stripesand would give it another try if someone gave me some helpfull hints. It'sobvious why the factory stripes only run over the TOP of the car...It's a pain in the **** dealing with the bumpers...
Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 PM
moe07
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Racing Stripe Help

i got mine fromhttp://www.autotrimdesign.com/Shoppi...on%20Notes.htm they are pre cut and very east to install. i noticed that the best way with a piece that has a lot of curves is to cut it and over lap in a place that won't be seen. and make sure that you use plenty of applicator. hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:59 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Some notes I took during my BSM stripe install...

Rear bumber: This was a pain on the first side we did. It would start to crease everywhere as it was positioned where I wanted it to go. I started to wipe the vinyl down at area adjacent to the license plate and worked in both directions (up and down) from there. Heat (from the blow dryer) helped alot. Had to go at a snails pace; heat, wet, squeegie, hold and heat, repeat. Opposite side went smoother and quicker for some reason.

Spoiler: Easy compared to the bumbers.

Front bumper: Heat is a must, period. Process was like the rear bumper, it took what seemed like forever just to do that small length of vinyl. It could be my rookie skills, but it seemed impossible to stretch the vinyl towards the center nose to maintain the 2" gap and not crease the rest of the vinyl all to heck (remember, I'm dealing with 12" wide stripes). This whole process was slower than a snails pace, I really think a snail would've beat be down the vinyl.
The only bit of advise I can offer is slowly squeegie down any crease/bubbles and hold that position and blow dry (that newly flattened area), otherwise the air crease will 'walk' back. If a solid crease does start to form, you'll have to ever so carefully peel that crease up spraying the water solution as you go, then redo the squeegie thing.
You think reading all this is a pain, wait til you attempt this yourself.

CDC chin spoiler: Piece of cake. I used the extra 'front bumper license plate cut-out' strip of vinyl for this. I just cut a section out and used it (straight edge of vinyl to the outside, slight curved end towards the inside). Since I couldn't tuck the vinyl between the CDC and grille (double side taped), I heated the area where the 2 parts mate and used the edge of the squeegie to create a trim line. Took a razor to it for a clean trim.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:35 PM
2005MustangGtGuy
2nd Gear Member

When I did my stripes, I took the backing paper off to do the bumper pieces. Install them on a hot day. As tacobill said, heat is a must for the bumpers. I used a heat gun to do mine, but you have to be very careful as the vinyl will melt if it gets too hot. Take your time and plan on it taking a while to do the front bumper--mine took me around 4 hours total.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19183/5A7CACA3CC324D0EA2CE7A9280FD4352.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-23-2007, 06:11 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Unless you're very familiar with one do NOT use a heat gun. A regular hair dryer will do fine.
Oh and it helps if you're like TacoBill and have 4 hands!!!
oh, wait... was that an assistant?
Ok, Ok, have a friend help you!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:42 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the help...The BSM stripes come in several pieces for each bumper application...I don't know if that makes itbetter or worse. Anyway, I still have several other pieces left (from the roof back). I think I'll practice on the rear bumper and see if I do any better using these tips.

Unfortunately, BSM doesn't sell the pieces individually or I would just by the ones I needed. (ATLEAST I DON'T THINK THEY DO - DO THEY???).

I'll see how I do on the back half and maybe give it another shot...
Old 06-23-2007, 08:27 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Contact Rob at BSM and tell him what happened. He's known to have great customer service.

Here's the link to my album for more pics.

Good luck, just take it slow and you'll be fine.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for sharing those pics tacobill,

Ialmost ordered my GT in redandhad I done so, I'd be trying to run white stripesfrom bumper to bumper just like yours...I love that look...

I'm puting on my CDC Classic Chin Spoiler this week (as soon as the body shop getsaround topainting it). Then hopefully, I'll havesome silver stripes on it the following week and soon after that some window tint (w/ mole-skin of course). By then the engine will be nice and broke in and it'll be time to go under the hood with some mods and into the rear-end (sounds wrong) with some 4:10's.

It's nice to know there are people in this forum like you to go to with questions I'll have along the way...

Thanks Again...
Old 06-23-2007, 12:03 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

What color stripes are you going with?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:26 PM
yzfmik
2nd Gear Member

I found the front bumper to be really easy, it was the back that I had to be very slow and careful with. I have heard of Rob replacing 1 of the pieces before so I bet he will.

Quick Reply: Racing Stripe Help