Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

autocross tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 01:34 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default autocross tips?

First autocross is in a few days... Im really nervous!

I've watched a ton of youtube in-car cams, and it just seems like the cones are confusing and impossible to follow. Maybe its a video thing, but it seems so hard!

I got my car ready for tech spec, suspension mods, everything cleaned inside and out, bought a certified helmet etc etc, now im just dealing with my nerves!

How hard is it to actually get out there and do it correctly?
Old 06-23-2007, 02:13 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: autocross tips?

Im more of a straight line kind of guy but it does look fun maybe one day, ive seen a few people post pixs of them autocrossing so maybe then will chime in, it should be fun though!! dont be nervous your there to have a good time. Atleast your dealing with cones and not brick walls like the pros! that could cause some trouble.

I do know a guy who autocrossed with his supra and we didnt get into detail but i heard him tell somebody one time that a good bit of advice is to not fall in love with your brake and shift your way through problems.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:14 AM
FergieGT07
1st Gear Member

Have you ever drag raced? It is similar at least in the beginning until you learn tail braking etc. Turn each turn into small drag races. Maintenance throttle in the turns and as soon as you see a straight line hit it! Brake early to find what your car can and cannot do. Courtesy...big deal, if you got someone on your rear, slow down and wave them past and likewise wait for the same to pass someone else. Don't be intimidated, talk to some of the experienced drivers. They are usually very interested in helping out a new driver. Keeps them safe as well as you. Then again this mostly applies to road racing but some is relative.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:57 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

It SEEMS like it's a lot harder than it is. Get there early, before racing starts; almost always, there is a set period of time where you can walk the track before you run. WALK THE COURSE!!! It will give you an idea of how to run it so that there's no major confusion.

Also, pay attention to the way cones are pointed. If you're driving up to a slalom, and you see a cone on one side lying down, pointing to the left, start on the left side of the cone! Otherwise, this can count as an "off course" and result in a DNF for that run.

When you get there early for sign-in, ask if they have a novice race group, or a novice driver's meeting. Usually, they'll tell you how to run the course, give you pointers, suggestions...I know here in San Diego, they try to walk you through the course, point out some problems you may be coming up to, such as loose pavement, uneven areas, off-camber turns that will cause you to spin, directional cones, etc.

Go through the course slow. Slower, constant speed can actually net you faster times than fast, hard-on-the-brakes, hard-on-the-accelerator driving. Plus, the slower speeds will keep you from getting too out of control.

If you feel yourself getting out of control and you think you're going to kill cones, 1) back off of the throttle,and steer into the slide. 2)Kill cones. It's better to kill cones than do severe damage to your car, or worse, kill one of the track workers (I've dodged several out of control cars while standing on the track trying to be a flag person).

When you're done with your run and waiting in line for the next run, stop, take a deep breath, and try to relax. Your body's going to be full of adrenaline from that first run, and you're going to feel like you've got one of the biggest rushes you've ever had. Try to just relax, focus on the next run, and cool down a minute, if you can.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:58 AM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

Get your lines sorted first. Slow in fast out. And dont apply throttle too early. Brake going in get your line setup maintain the gas and then spply more as your exiting the bend. People that constnalty adjust there throttle and keep feathering it usually get slower times.

The whole idea is to be smooth in your driving. Downshift before getting to the bend and heel and toe if you can will help maintain balance if your doing it into the corner.

Most important thing though is have fun. Its far more exiting than going up the strip will give you a bigger rush. Or at least it is to me. Speed through bends I just find more appealing than in a straight line. It gives me a much bigger rush.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:34 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the tips! I signed up as a novice, and yes theres an extra novice session, so hopefully all goes well.

cant wait to report back imo