Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carnuba Wax question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:53 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default Carnuba Wax question

I used a pure carnuba wax for the first time yesterday - P21S - It was relatively expensive - from Autogeek. My question is - Is it supposed to be hard like real "wax"? It was difficult to apply and I would probably not use it again but I was just wondering if it was supposed to be that consistency (almost likecandle wax)or if it was old or dried. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:59 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Carnuba Wax question

All the Carnuba waxes I've used in the past, including Macguiars, Kit, and Gliptone have always been in the form of a liquid. They were always some the easiest waxes to apply and remove. Is yours a paste or a liquid? A little trick with either is to damped the applicator with water, this "thins" the wax, helping apply a smoother, more uniform coat that's also easier to remove. I've since switched to NXT and ICE from the carnubas, as I feel they last longer and give a better shine without any added effort.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:02 PM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

Yes it is, it difficult to put on, but it really protects your paint. This product works best as a finish when the car is very clean and no oxidation.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:09 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Yes it is, it difficult to put on, but it really protects your paint. This product works best as a finish when the car is very clean and no oxidation.
+1

I use P21S regularly and it's a great wax...a little pricey, but it does protect well and looks great when applied with a polisher (PC or comparable)
Old 06-28-2007, 04:27 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

unsocbl - glad to find someone that has used it. Can you please tell me if it is supposed to be kind of "hard" - like a softer candle wax? Is that because it is purer? I also have only used carnuba paste or liquid before (much less expensive) - this is kind of like the consistency of a soap bar - best I can describe - and is difficult to get on the applicator I use (microfiber pad).

Thanks for any help - just trying to figure out if it is OK (normal)or if it dried out or something - I have had it for 2 years (closed and stored indoors) but just used it yesterday.

ORIGINAL: unsocbl

+1

I use P21S regularly and it's a great wax...a little pricey, but it does protect well and looks great when applied with a polisher (PC or comparable)
Old 06-28-2007, 05:47 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Yes, it's very hard in the can and it is due to the purity of the carnuba. I use a small pad (4") on the Porter Cable and just wipe at the wax in the can. It amazes me how much wax actually goes onto the applicator pad because it is so hard. I can apply it to 1/2 the hood with one swipe in the can. And the clarity is amazing!!! I'm just taking everyone's opinion on Autopia that the protection is good, but it seems if it's that hard in the can, it'll make an effective barrier on the car also. Here's a pic of my hood right after washing/drying and the wax has been on since March (although it is time to wax again, but only because I enjoy it!!)
Old 06-28-2007, 06:12 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thank you!!!! You really answered my question. I greatly appreciate it. BTW - Your car looks great. I was going to stop using it but now I will probably use it again based on your results and knowing that it is OK (not dried out). I probably used too much also so appreciate your info on this.

Thanks again for your kind help.

P.S. Is that all you use or do you use anything else? I used Klasse all-in-one about 3 weeks ago then put a coat of the P21S on last night after a wash - saw this combo on autogeek. It really beads a lot more than just with the Klasse. I live in S. Fla so sun protection is a big factor.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:27 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Thanks!! I keep resisting the urge to paint it an easier to manage color. Black is kicking my butt [&:]

I use a clay-bar for step 1, Optimum Compound for step 2, Optimum Polish for Step 3 and the P-21S as a final coat. I also use a Porter Cable to apply steps 2-4. It really helps to ensure the coats are thin and even. I thought about using one of the paint sealant products (wolfgang) but haven't gotten there yet.

Good luck and enjoy!!