Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:02 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Roll bars

Well, I hate to be captain obvious like some others here as well, but there is really no support form the front pillars, not even in the coupe, the difference is the coupe just has more. Yes CDC claims alot from their roll bars, but even they (and I have called them) have never officially tested it in a rollover instance, thus the liability reason he mentioned. It can stand up to alot of weight, I say one hold up 600lbs of human weight so yea its strong.

Now if your plan is to autocross it or you drive like your on the track then, skip the roll bar buy a cage. Personally every car I have ever designed that has a cage had one done my S&W Race Cars, including the cage going in my car. Its weld in, track legal and it WILL hold up to a roll.

Of course for the price you pay on the AutoPower Ind. roll bar you can buy a D.O.M 8pt. or for a bit more the Moly 8pt. so cost effective. Yea OK so you have to pay someone to put it in, well its not that much more than having someone install the bolt in, they are still going to want to remove the interior so that they do not risk hurting it and that is often the larger part of the cost.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:08 AM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

In that roll over thread the owner said that the headrests held up the car. Just one more reason to drive in the upright position & not leaning back like so many today.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Route 99
1st Gear Member

Just today I read locally about a woman killed in a rollover accident in an SUV. She was thrown from her vehicle.

Here's in interesting article along with interesting counter argument responses I came across.

Interesting statements in article:

Passengers in convertibles during rollover accidents were not killed in any greater numbers than occupants of cars that met NHTSA’s roof crush standard.

Although rollover crashes constitute just three percent of all American accidents, they account for almost half of all fatalities. That’s an estimated26,376 deaths annually. But the assumption that a weak roof collapsed and crushed the passengers is simply not supported by the data. In 74% of cases, roof intrusion was not a factor. Rollover accidents are fatal because the occupants are usually ejected, or partially ejected, during the crash.

My conclusion: You do not want to be in a rollover accident whether you are in ahard topor convertible.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1614

Old 07-08-2007, 07:50 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Route 99

My conclusion: You do not want to be in a rollover accident whether you are in ahard topor convertible.
Agreed
Old 07-08-2007, 09:26 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Of course for the price you pay on the AutoPower Ind. roll bar you can buy a D.O.M 8pt. or for a bit more the Moly 8pt
This is what an 8pt looks like in your car. Don't know if there would be any difference for a convertible?
The kit was ordered, then professionally installed with frame mounts, to NHRA specs. I paid a little more for swing-outs since car is still driven a lot during the week.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 PM
chiromaniac

Does your light bar make any wind noise or change your top down aerodynamics inside the car? Have you noticed any interior changes like this at all?