Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:37 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering questions

ORIGINAL: peteway

ORIGINAL: StowesStang

ORIGINAL: TrIpOd

ORIGINAL: StowesStang

Hey, Ill answer ur question.....................I have FRPP lowering springs and nothing else. Really and truly, nothing else is needed unless you want to improve the ride more or plan on road tracking the car.
This is false information.
How is that false???? Both cars are rolling just find without anything else. Be careful here because it was not stated that you couldnt do more, I said simply that nothing else is really NEEDED and its not so please do elaborate.
TriPod is correct.
In addition to camber bolts you need to take into consideration the pinion angle changes. You really should get either adjustable lower or adjustable upper control arms for the rear so can fix the pinion angle...and adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear end. Although you can drive the car with out this, in the loooong run it may hurt you driving with out correcting the pinion angle.
CrazyAl can enlighten us more but he's posted about this topic several times before.

damn, just saw RodeoFlyer's response... but I will post anyway.
Its all good, Im just getting hammered on this topic!!! LOL I think I now know what subject I need to stay away from!!! LOL Thanks though!
Old 07-04-2007, 12:47 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Stowes right to a degree...i just had springs for about 5 months....then I got the cash and upgraded the rest. you can get away with just springs, yes the tires might wear, yes the center will be off (half an inch for me) the ride wasnt horrible though and the pinion angle was off alittle....all and all if you want to do just spings you might have to replace some things sooner than with stock springs but the look of the car us probably worth it.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:07 AM
tungstenstang
4th Gear Member

so whats a good average cost for doing it "The right way"?
Old 07-04-2007, 03:06 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

1300+ I would say

Shocks=500
panhard= 130
springs=200
lcas=250
camber bolts=35
swaybar=200
panhard brace=100

prices are not always the same brand to brand so there is a little play in the numbers.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:08 PM
VWILLO
2nd Gear Member

Check my sig, the ball joints and bumpsteer IMO are aren't needed for a daily driver and are hard to get adjusted correctly. Best ride mod, after lowering, was the LCA relocation bracket, took out the bounce and really helped hook ups.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:08 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Front sway is not needed really...factory one is pretty good...then i have the swaybar delete so what the **** to i know!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

I'll at least back you up StowesStang. You don't technically need anything else but the springs. It doesn't mean everything will be perfect and handle better, etc but you don't HAVE to have it. Hell, that little change in pinion angle is nothing compared to what the offroad guys do without correcting it.

For the person who is just going for the look, springs will take care of it. Add the panhard, dampers, and a few other goodies to get more out of it. For sure, you will not launch as well without relocating your lower control arms.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:31 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aziraphale

I'll at least back you up StowesStang. You don't technically need anything else but the springs. It doesn't mean everything will be perfect and handle better, etc but you don't HAVE to have it. Hell, that little change in pinion angle is nothing compared to what the offroad guys do without correcting it.

For the person who is just going for the look, springs will take care of it. Add the panhard, dampers, and a few other goodies to get more out of it. For sure, you will not launch as well without relocating your lower control arms.
Thanks man!!! That is all I was trying to accomplish here!!! LOL
Old 07-05-2007, 06:53 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I did the math on the angle and length of the panhard
bar. Its at 2 degrees stock from the rear end and lowering
the car 3/4" moves the rear end to the left about .025 thousands
of an inch. I cant see 1 1/2" drop moving it .250 or 1/4".
Do the math.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

That is why I say, springs will do ya until you are ready to do "whatever" Some people are just more particular about suspension work so its just a matter of what you want to deal with ya know what I mean. Its all good!!!

Quick Reply: Lowering questions