Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripes painted or Vinal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:54 AM
jaxbelleil
2nd Gear Member

Default Stripes painted or Vinal?

I was just wandering what is better Painted stripes, or vinal?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:01 AM
jackclove

Default RE: Stripes painted or Vinal?

I think paint would be better. You would never have worry about pealing at all, but paint cost more.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:17 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Nice thing about vinyl is you can easily remove it later if you decide you don't like it.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:50 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Went with vinal to se IF we would like the stripes.
Now that they are going on 3 months old, and are showing some wear. Mostly because of a certainHIGH pressure car wash (this thing gets it, scared me as Ithought it was going to shred the convertible top!! We don't use that one aanymore!)and I stretched them too tight over the front bumper above the front license plate.We have decided to PAINT them on. I will admit that these stripes cost $56 dollars so I would guess there are better quality stripes out there than theseeven though these were 5mm 3M brand stripes. I installed them myself. (with help of my daughters)
I'm not knocking vinal as they are a great way to see if you are going to like stripes!

Old 06-30-2007, 03:46 AM
hecktic33gt
1st Gear Member

Dude dont get vinal. I got mine vinal and there just getting marks in it that wont come out and little nicks. Dont bother with that get em painted.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:57 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

paint if you got the cash, vinyl if you dont. I dont have stripes for I got no cash left
Old 06-30-2007, 05:46 AM
500 Blue
1st Gear Member

Hello all,
As someone who loves his stripes I'd so go Painted if you can afford it. I have vinyl ones now and am trying to get them painted on. Painters are quoting me around $2000 and I have other things to spend that cash on atm.

Give this idea some thought. When you have the stripes painted on, will you JUST get the stripes done and clear coated? That will leave a raised edge on your stripes like the vinyl ones. Or will you have all your panels sanded and recoated with a clear in order for it to be done properly. I would not want them to be raised so I’m waiting till I have the coin to get the done correctly.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

Here is my take on it.

Vinyl is much less expensive. You can change them at a later date if you wish. Waxing can be a PITA as you have to worry about the edge. They don't seem to wear as well as paint. You can tell they are vinyl when you get closer to the car.

Paint, much more expensive. Kinda hard to change [8D]. Waxing is not an issue because if they are done right the clear will be blended. They wear much better. They look better up close as well as from afar.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:29 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Paint (even though mine was a pain in the A** to get done). Kept sending it back till i got tired (three times).
Old 07-01-2007, 03:04 AM
GT_Stang
3rd Gear Member

does anyone know where i can order some vinal stripes from..please dont say baltimore street mods i tried ordering didnt work emailed them no answere..

Quick Reply: Stripes painted or Vinal?