Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil and filter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:45 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: oil and filter question

RP or Redline for me, with K&N filters for now.....might switch filter after i run out of these.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:48 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: s197richie

ORIGINAL: mtnpunk91

I use a Penzoil filter and Castrol GTX oil when I change it every 3000 miles.

The oil cost's $1.09 a quart (bought in case qty, after rebate) and the filter is $4.99.

You dont need an expensive filter or synthetic oil if you do it that often.
I think your line of thinking is in the minority around here. Synthetic oils reduce friction, improve power and fuel economy, and dramatically increase engine life. After 100K miles, let's take your engine apart, and then the engine of someone running Mobil One etc...the engine using synthetic would still look new. Also, Ford's factory fill is a part-synthetic so you're running your car on sub-standard oil. Look, maybe I'm being a d!ck and I know it's none of my business, but don't you think your baby deserves better? I use mobil one 5w20 and mobil one filter, will change it every 3mo./3k, yes maybe it's overkill but I am absolutely in love with my car (sappy)...sorry if I came off preachy...
[/quo

I didn't read it that way, but before I switched to synthetics, I used plain jane ole Pennz and Fram filters and consistantly got 100K miles with no oil useage or leakage changing it every 3K miles. The guy has a point.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Viking

I have been using Mobil 1 and Motorcraft filter. I may be switching from Mobil 1 since its no longer a 100% true synthetic. Not sure if I am going to go quality, like Redline or Amsoil, or just continue with a "Full synthetic" like Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Motorcraft synthetic, etc. Full synthetic being a marketing term, of course...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:24 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

This topic has been discussed to death but i will go ahead and keep it going i guess.

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/index.html

Fram not so hot...

Old 07-02-2007, 11:49 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I use Mobil 1 5w20 or 5w30 and Motorcraft Filters. Pick 'em all up at Walmart. I know Fram filters have been rated poorly, but I've been using pretty much nothing but Fram filters in my other cars since 1986 and have never had an issue.Withdino oil, it was always changed at 3000 miles, with synthetic it is usually 5000-7000 miles.I've kept a couple of the vehicles for more than 100K miles too.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filter. i was using a motorcraft filter up until last week, i just didnt see any at the store when it was time to do the change. it was a toss between Mobile 1 filter and K&N, but really, i've never had a problem getting the filter off. filter wrench is all you need.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

All RP is fully synthetic

ORIGINAL: skillful

for the royal purple, is it the same 5w-20 or is royal purple synthetic oil?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tedBalog

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic with a motorcraft filter.
+1
Old 07-03-2007, 12:52 AM
samuraidad
1st Gear Member

You guys are all right about the oil and the filter. Fords own oil is a combo(synthic and petrolum base.) Personally I am using it and have my dealer do the oil and filter change. They have a great price of $29.99 annd they check the car over top off what needs to be etc. Plus if I have a engine problem there is a record on file of who did it, what was uses and they cannot say it was someone or something I did that caused the problem. I also looked at the cost 5 quarts of oil, say Mobil 1 @ $5.00 a quart then $3.00 to $5.00 for the filter and then disposing of the oil properly I come out way ahead. Now this vehicle is street use and not modified (17 year old driver - got the drift) so if i were taking it to the track I would be using a racing oil and a lot of it since there would be a oil change after ever return home.
Change it often with the filter and you stang will love you. remember no oil can protect you from racing you engine to the redline at a stop sign only that rod you throw will stop that.

[/align]
Old 07-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ctrcbob

Mobil-1 is a Synthetic. The others are Dino oil out of the ground.

For all the answers to your questions, go to www.bobistheoilguy.com then click on Forums.

You will learn everything there is to know in that site.
Valvoline makes a synthetic called PowerSyn, which I use.

Quick Reply: oil and filter question