Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount install procedure confirmation...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 05:32 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default Motor mount install procedure confirmation...

Ok so I just put a block of wood under the pan and jack that up 2-3inches, and stop if I feel any pressure.

And then I just replace the mounts.

Theres nothing more to it? No bolts to loosen or remove before hand? Anything??!?!?!!

Ok great.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:15 AM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Motor mount install procedure confirmation...

I don't know the answer to your question, but out of curiousity, why are you replacing your motor mounts? Are you installing some polyurethane and do you expect this will help your autocrossing performance?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:36 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

You might want to disconnect the transmission.....not sure about that though.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ilmor

I don't know the answer to your question, but out of curiousity, why are you replacing your motor mounts? Are you installing some polyurethane and do you expect this will help your autocrossing performance?
Motor mounts do the same thing as torque limiters, wihch I had but disconnected becuse I didnt like the idea of forcing the tranny to stay in one place and take the vibrational beating from the engine at the same time.

The mounts are meant to bolt the engine up to the chassis better than the stock ones. The goal is to try to hold the engine still and limit the amount of energy it loses when it moves/vibrates itself. If you can hold it still then you should get more power output. I definately noticed this with torque limiters.

This has nothing to do with autocross..... I just LOVE the muscle car vibration that the torque limiters gave the car. It literally shook side to side when you started the car up, and felt great during driving.... Polyurethane motor mounts should give you the same thing.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:54 AM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

I would not jack on the oil pan, they dent too easy.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:34 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

What motor mounts are you getting? I've seen red and black ones. This would be a great time to take some pics of your install and share them for us that may follow the same path.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:12 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

This is for the Bullet Motor Mounts. Before you jack up, you loosen the nut on the motor mount from the top. Then loosen the 2 bolts on the sides holding the motor mount. Do the same on the other side. Also disconnect the battery. Trust me on this. I sparked at one time of installation on the passenger side. Jack up a few inches. The easiest way to get the mounts out, is to also remove the engine brackets. 4 bolts. You will need an angle extension for your socket wrench. I used a piece of wood that was a little longer that the pan side to side. It didn't dent the pan.

Did you not get the intructions from wher eyou got them from?
Old 07-05-2007, 01:54 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

techman, I haven't bought the mounts yet, though I planned to get Prothane's mounts. Prothane tends to not give instructions in regular bushing products, but maybe they do with their motor mounts?

I'll order today.... And take pics when I do it. And I have no clue what engine brackets are so I may skip that idea...
Old 07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Mine came with the intructions. The brackets are the metal pieces that go from the engine to set on the motor mount. Once you get under there, you will see what I am talking about. I tried the method of jacking it up and over the screw from the mount on my first attempt. It caqused more problems and took longer. That is when I said F' it. I will just undo the brackets(like the intructions actually say). Came out easily.