Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start question

Old 07-05-2007, 04:21 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Remote Start question

Here's a link to one that you can install yourself:
http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/scy2000rsm.html

And here's a good site that explains why it should only be done on cars with Automatic transmissions.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/remote_start.cfm

It's illegal in a lot of states to install one into a manual, so you're probably not going to have much luck finding someone to do it.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

can you picture it now?
Youtube video of some people exiting a shopping mall approaching the parking lot. One of then is going to start his new manual Mustang with his remote from 100 feet away. We pan from him to his car as we hear the alarm turned off, then watch as it proceeds to jump the parking curb and go into the main lane of the mall, where it is smashed into by a Coca-Cola truck!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Alloyed
2nd Gear Member

I don't recommend this but the only place I can think of in the Tampa, FL area (Which i assume you're in) is Buzz Off on Dale Mabry. They do custom alarm systems, stereo systems and did my windo tinting. Try using them. Again, I don't think this is a good idea but...if you want to do it, I believe these guys could figure it out.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

Call Compustar or Astrostart (look up their info on the www). These are two companies who make remote starts for manual trans vehicles. They can tell you who installs in your area. You can then call the installer and inquire if they will do a manual trans kit or not.

Now, for all of you The Sky is Falling types. Here is how it goes with Compustar which is what I have in my manual trans GT. There are safeguards to prevent you from starting the car when in gear. You need to arm the starter for remote start. As you arrive at you location, you push brake pedal, car in neutral, then clutch out, then e-brake on. Take key out, the car will remainrunninguntil the driver's door is shut, at which time the car turns off, then locks the doors. This tells the computer that the car cannot be in gear. If you open a door, or unlock the car, you cannot get back into the remote start program. Astrostart works similiar.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:49 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

I have a compustar 9000FM 2 way.
I have a 5 speed manual.

Compustar have designed a remote start to start your car, even with a manual tranny.
Essentially, there are a bunch of steps to take when leaving your car and arming it to be able to remote start without it rolling away.

With the Mustang, you CANNOT make it work properly.
You need an immobilizer bypass for the immobilizer embedded in the key, and that immobilizer + programming additional keys + programming the alarm in a set time frame (15 seconds from compustar for leaning) doesn't work.

As a side job, the shop that installed the alarm basically tricked the alarm into thinking its an automatic. Essentially , it will crank my motor regardlesss if its in gear or not.

That means i have to be 110% positive that my car is in neutral before i hit auto start.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:52 AM
cmj
1st Gear Member

That means i have to be 110% positive that my car is in neutral before i hit auto start.
That's the problem. I'd never waste my money on something that relies on guesswork, especially when the safety of your car or anyone around it is involved.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:47 AM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cmj

That's the problem. I'd never waste my money on something that relies on guesswork, especially when the safety of your car or anyone around it is involved. And again, the car remains running until the driver exits the car and shuts the door, so itHAS to be in neutral,or it is driving away as you get out. The car then shuts off and arms for starting. Unlock the doors, or open the door will disable this.

In a Mustang, explain to me how you can leave the car while it is running with it in gear and not realize it as it is driving away...?? I have had it installed for 5 months, use it every day, many times a day, and not a single issue.