Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Mr. Clean Auto Dry remove wax???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:13 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default Does Mr. Clean Auto Dry remove wax???

I waxed my car using a very good carnuba wax about 2 weeks ago. It was beading great - better than it ever had.

I used the Mr. Clean Auto Dry system to wash it today and it did not bead at all!

It says on the package - "Does not remove wax" but I am doubting this.

Any comments, explanations or experience?

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Does Mr. Clean Auto Dry remove wax???

I have no first hand experience, but I've heard people on other car forums say that it does remove wax. Bummer, because it seems like a nifty product otherwise.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:20 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

If it does remove wax I will be really POed. I spent a lot of time and used expensive wax. If it does remove wax it is going into the trash tonight.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:18 PM
red stangguy
1st Gear Member

Ionly use Ivory dish soap it is the softest cleaning agent out there in my opinion and it will nottake off wax.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:20 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

I think it will. Had Tree sap on my car once that i could not get off. Cleaned it with the auto wash and it slid right off. Im guessing sap is stickier than wax
Old 07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

nah, I use an autodry all the time and I do notice what you are talking about with the water not beading now. The soap leaves a film over your wax, I'm not real sure why, I guess it has something to do with how it dries. Give the car a good hand washing with regular carwash soap and it will bead up like normal again. I was kinda freaked out the first time like you. 6 months later if I hand wash it, it will still bead.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:29 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangdude81

nah, I use an autodry all the time and I do notice what you are talking about with the water not beading now. The soap leaves a film over your wax, I'm not real sure why, I guess it has something to do with how it dries. Give the car a good hand washing with regular carwash soap and it will bead up like normal again. I was kinda freaked out the first time like you. 6 months later if I hand wash it, it will still bead.
hmmm... i use the mr. clean thing... mine still beads...

How it works (or the theory behind it) is the filter pack removes all the impurities in the water (minerals, etc.) and therefore allows the car to air dry spot free...
Old 07-06-2007, 08:33 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

+1

The soap is purpose built to leave that film so that the filtered water works better to leave a spot free finish.

I buy the Mr. Clean soap (been using it since it first came out) specifically becuase it does NOT take off the wax. When I want to remove the wax - I use Dawn dish soap.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:54 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

From all I've read, never use dish soap on your car. It is designed specifically to remove wax and grease (kinda makes sense, doesn't it?).

The Auto-Dry system is designed to sheet water, not bead it, thereby preventing water spots. The filter removes impurities in the water and the sheeting action allows it to dry without residue. I use it sometimes and my wax finish is not harmed in any way. It's expensive though (with the soap and the filters), so most of the time I just use a quality car wash soap and micro fiber towels to dry off the remaining water. A quick detailer or the TW Ice product is also a good idea between wax jobs.

UB10

Old 07-06-2007, 09:27 PM
ctrcbob

Like UB10 said, it sheets the water when you rinse. At least, that is what the instructions say.
I tried it once. Did not work as advertised. Threw it out.

Not to change the subject, (everyone talking about wax) a few months back, I purchased some Turtle Wax "ICE", both the Polish and the Detailer. (They also make the clay bar [liquid]). Love the Polish. I can do the whole car in 20 minutes. They say it can be used in the sun, but I found that using it on a cool car, in the shade, (like in my garage) works much better.
As for the Detailer, it sucks. Other detailers are much better. Got a tip from a friend who has a Shelby GT500. He uses the Detailerto cleanhis WINDSHIELD. Tried it on my windshield, and it works great for that. Bugs come right off. But on the car, forget the detailer.

Quick Reply: Does Mr. Clean Auto Dry remove wax???