Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOJACK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Blueline

Default RE: LOJACK?

I think its a really good systemandvery well engineered.We have a few Lojack trackers in some our patrol vehicles and have recovered severalstolen carsin short order using it.
HOWEVER, the humanelement, aswith anything,is the slowest part of the process inthat the tracking device doesnt activate untilYOU report the vehicle stolen and its entered in the NCIC computer which sends a signal to Lojack/police to locate your vehicle. With that said ihighly recommend it and also suggest the "notification option" as it decreases the time frame for vehicle recovery should it be stolen.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torch red

Not necassary...A well hidden Fuel kill switch is all you need..save your Money and put in a kill switch..

Works for me..
Your car can be snatched just as quick as without the kill switch. Doesn't need fuel to be towed. Ever see a repo sling in the back of a pickup truck? Very common with car theft rings, and hooks, lifts, and is ready to roll in seconds.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Not necassary...A well hidden Fuel kill switch is all you need..save your Money and put in a kill switch..

Works for me..
Fuel kill switches dont work against theives with tow-trucks
as LoJack would. JMHO
Old 07-17-2007, 04:49 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Blueline

I think its a really good systemandvery well engineered.We have a few Lojack trackers in some our patrol vehicles and have recovered severalstolen carsin short order using it.
HOWEVER, the humanelement, aswith anything,is the slowest part of the process inthat the tracking device doesnt activate untilYOU report the vehicle stolen and its entered in the NCIC computer which sends a signal to Lojack/police to locate your vehicle. With that said ihighly recommend it and also suggest the "notification option" as it decreases the time frame for vehicle recovery should it be stolen.

I have seen it work on the TV show COPS but is that real?
The antenna farm on top of the Cop Car for LoJack looks
weird and no cops around here have it. Must be the 1970
version of LoJack. 2007 system uses GPS and cell towers?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:58 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

from what i understand, the car has to be within a certain range from the towers (about 20 miles) and 5 miles from a police cruiser. even then it doesn't give an exact location.

a GPS system (what i'm considering to buy) will pinpoint your car and it doesn't have to be in a certain range to work. it's more expensive but you can find it a lot easier. Onstar, in the GM cars, have this capability.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:02 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

I've got it on mine also, never used yet & hope I don't need it.
Before you buy & install, check to make sure your area of the country is covered, it's not 100% USA coverage.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Works for me..
Ok...Where do you live, Torch? I'll stop by your house with a flatbed tow truck. j/k

Seriously, though, if a thiefcan get around a fuel kill switch that easily, your car's GONE. And this isn't a new technique; car thieves have been using this method since the 70's to steal cars (I saw it in the original Gone In 60 Seconds).

Lojack is better in the sense that it helps to track your car to where the thieves have taken your car. LoJack's got several success stories on their website where they busted up chop shops because the chop shops stole cars with Lojack on them and didn't know it until the police were showing up at the car.

I've got it on my GT, my dad got the Lojack installed on his BMW (it's the one with the keyfob thing), and my mom's got it on her Corolla (we thought it was a good idea, since the Corollas have been touted as one of the highest theft vehicles in our area...Apparently they're getting stolen for replacement parts for other Corollas that were wrecked, and sold to shady body shops). I just hope that I never have to use the system!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:05 PM
ucdgreek
1st Gear Member

I have Guidepoint system. Check out their website
Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 PM
kindred169
2nd Gear Member

I've been told that the cops don't activate the lojack system to track it until something like 48 hours after you've reported it stolen. This, coupled with the time it takes for you to discover your car is missing, is plenty of time for a good theif to strip your vehicle of some of your nicer parts.

This is what I've been told at least. May not be true.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:34 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

My car had it from the lot. The dealer wanted an extra $1,250 for it added to the sticker. I had them give it to me for free or I wasn't going to buy the car!!! (Their reason for installing it was because cars were getting stolen from their lot!??!......)

Quick Reply: LOJACK?