Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JBA long tubes vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default JBA long tubes vibration

I just had JBA long tubes w/ JBA catalytic h-pipe installed. Their seems to be adequate clearance but I'm getting some vibration on the passenger side when turning and under suspension compression. It also seems to vibrate the passenger footwell on startup for a moment. Any ideas what the clearance issue may be on a 2007 GT?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:15 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: JBA long tubes vibration

No clue, I have the same set up with no problems. I haven't had any vibration issues with the headers. Could there be an install issue?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Count me in with same problem on shorties!
Clearance is fine!
Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Hmmm. I had theminstalled by a very respectedshop here in Austin, TX. There was a small clearance issue with one of the converters. A long bolt from the body was coming pretty close and he had to shave it down. It also seems to be related to expansion. Once the car heats up good, the problem goes away. It has to be a clearance/rubbing problem somewhere. I'll take it back to them next weekand track it down....
Old 07-21-2007, 07:55 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rubrignitz

I just had JBA long tubes w/ JBA catalytic h-pipe installed. Their seems to be adequate clearance but I'm getting some vibration on the passenger side when turning and under suspension compression. It also seems to vibrate the passenger footwell on startup for a moment. Any ideas what the clearance issue may be on a 2007 GT?
I have heard somewhere that the motor mounts need to be replaced with something sturdier (Steedas, for example)when swapping in longtubes. I'm not quite sure the rationale, although the heavier duty mounts help ensure proper driveline geometry, and thus, perhaps, clearance of your headers...

I did a quick search on this forum and didn't find a reference, but I could swear I've read this in several places...

John
Old 07-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

The stock mounts are like butter and let your engine move almost an inch back and forth. I had the same problem with mine when I put the headers on. Buy some Steeda mounts and put them on. It will solve the problem. Takes 1-2 hours for install.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:13 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

I have the same problem with my BBKs but it only does it when I first start up the car and goes away roughly 2 minutes later.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Same thing I have! A few minutes / after it gets warm, the noise stops.
Lets keep this thread going!!!
Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to pick up some new mounts this week. I'll post to this forum letting everyone know how they work out. Maybe a week or two, have to make the time to get her back in the shop and I'm REALLY enjoying the new sound. Hate to give her up for another day to have it done
Old 07-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Purchased the HD (race?) mounts from Steeda today. They supposedly come with 2 different sets of polyurethane mounts with diff durometers. Guess I'll let my techs decide on which to use. Updates on outcome/results after I have them installed...

Quick Reply: JBA long tubes vibration