Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Battery Cover.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 06:39 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default Factory Battery Cover.....

So, has anyone experienced this with their factory battery cover?? Noticed it some time back, but it's been getting progressively worse. So I took it off today and will have to replace it. My first thought obviously is battery acid, but it just doesn't look to be the case. Perhaps high heat?? Dunno....

Anyone else have this happen??????? The black outer shell is very brittle in spots, but I'm not seeing anything that has absorbed into the white foam appearing material....Odd.....

Mike

Old 07-21-2007, 07:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Factory Battery Cover.....

interesting.....was the edge that is all destroyed,
over the header

Old 07-21-2007, 07:05 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

It is actually a pretty common issue on other makes of cars that i have seen with them. It is made of a very thin almost paper material. Most likely just the heat got it. Unless of course you have mice chewing it up for their house.

Richard
Old 07-21-2007, 07:12 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Yeah, the real bad side is the one right over the exhaust....That is what I suspect, mainly because the bad area is just so brittle to the touch.....

You're right Richard, it is very thin material. Just hope you are wrong about the vermin....

If in fact it's a heat issue, as suspected, I'm a bit surprised that I haven't heard of this issue from others...

Mike
Old 07-21-2007, 09:25 PM
NewRoushPonyOwner
2nd Gear Member

That had happened to mine while it was at the dealer's body shop getting repaired for a fender bender, I complained and they replaced it under warranty. I had guessed they must have mistreated it while working on the car, but maybe it was ready to tear already... hmmm, I guess I got lucky instead of screwed as I'd thought! [8D]
Old 07-21-2007, 10:00 PM
CityDave
1st Gear Member

Being in charge of a Gov. fleet I see this all of the time. One of the causes is the battery acid. The battery will vent some vapor that has a mixture of water and some acid. This will stay on the outer cover and cause it to corrode and break down the outer layer. Air passing over this area from the fan or driving will tear the cover away. Heat coming up from the exhaust will speed up the process.

As for the 'battery cover" this is an item that isneeded to reduce the amount of heat applied to the battery it self.Direct heat to the case will cause the cells to heat up andevaporateoff the water if the battery is a vented system. Also the heat in the battery will lower the CCA thus reduce the power you have to start the car when its hot. This same cover (blanket) willprotect the battery in the winter by helping to store in some of the heat after you shut down and also apply some insulation from the cold.
So after seeing your coverI would replace it with a new one if you can not get Ford to do so.

Dave
Old 07-21-2007, 10:15 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CityDave

Being in charge of a Gov. fleet I see this all of the time. One of the causes is the battery acid. The battery will vent some vapor that has a mixture of water and some acid. This will stay on the outer cover and cause it to corrode and break down the outer layer. Air passing over this area from the fan or driving will tear the cover away. Heat coming up from the exhaust will speed up the process.

As for the 'battery cover" this is an item that isneeded to reduce the amount of heat applied to the battery it self.Direct heat to the case will cause the cells to heat up andevaporateoff the water if the battery is a vented system. Also the heat in the battery will lower the CCA thus reduce the power you have to start the car when its hot. This same cover (blanket) willprotect the battery in the winter by helping to store in some of the heat after you shut down and also apply some insulation from the cold.
So after seeing your coverI would replace it with a new one if you can not get Ford to do so.

Dave
Great info Dave, thanks for the input. Sounds as if you have...been there, done that.....

Thanks for the reply.

Mike