Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Supsension Squeak...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:30 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear Supsension Squeak...

My car has this very annoying squeak somewhere in the rear suspension [:@]... I notice it more when it is cooler and damp out. It seems to be coming from the passenger side rear. Anyone else have/had this problem? Help me get rid of it PLEASE.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:40 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear Supsension Squeak...

Does it happen when you do a turn? If so, there is a TSB about moan from the rearend.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:41 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: owero01

Does it happen when you do a turn? If so, there is a TSB about moan from the rearend.
It does it no matter what. If it is a REAL smooth surface, it doesn't seem to do it. I thought it had to do with the rim as it sometimes is in tune with how fast I'm driving.

EXAMPLE:
If I drive slow - squeek.....squeek......squeek[:@]
If Idrive fast - squeek,squeek,squeek,squeek [sm=smiley35.gif]

Again, I thought it was my rim but It doesn't do it all the time.One day it was doing it so,I put my spare on and it stillDID it. [sm=headbang.gif]
Old 07-22-2007, 02:45 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

It's difficult to determine the true location of a squeak source. Sound may be conducted aling various componnts to a place where it can escape to vibrate some air. Get someone to drive you around while you move from place to place in the car. A stethescope would help.

My first impulse would be to spray a little Armorall or Silicon lubricant on the places where rubber meets metal: exhaust hangers, then if that doesn't do it, sway bar bushings, and maybe spring seats.

I had a persistent squeak in the rear of my car, isolated to one side. When I changed rear sway bars from a painted one to a powder-coated one, the squeak was gone. Paint had worn off one end of the squeakie bar, and that was the quiet end.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:15 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

It's difficult to determine the true location of a squeak source. Sound may be conducted aling various componnts to a place where it can escape to vibrate some air. Get someone to drive you around while you move from place to place in the car. A stethescope would help.

My first impulse would be to spray a little Armorall or Silicon lubricant on the places where rubber meets metal: exhaust hangers, then if that doesn't do it, sway bar bushings, and maybe spring seats.

I had a persistent squeak in the rear of my car, isolated to one side. When I changed rear sway bars from a painted one to a powder-coated one, the squeak was gone. Paint had worn off one end of the squeakie bar, and that was the quiet end.
Thanks,

I'll give your suggestions a try...