Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

are adjustable struts necessary?

Old 07-25-2007, 06:43 PM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

Default are adjustable struts necessary?

I was set on d-specs but then I started to think about harder. roush,saleen, steeda,ford racing. all of there kits use non adjustable shocks/struts. I had tokico hp's on my last stang and it handled great but it rode rough due to a heavy spring rate. I know a lot of people are going to say get the d-specs but let's be realistic. for someone who is looking for a good street car with occassional auto cross.drag and maybe some light open track are they really needed if the spring and strut combo is well matched. I worry that I will always be messing with the settings and never get it dialed in. thoughts?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 PM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: are adjustable struts necessary?

I think you already answered your own question. Its not necessary solely for street use.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 PM
rnail
1st Gear Member

My thoughts were exactly like yours. I know alot of people have them, and I toiled with this in my mind and finally opted for the matched set from Steeda. I know myself, and I would fret over and over about the settings until I drove myself nuts. I just received the Steeda Sport springs and thier ProAction matched shocks/struts and will install them next week. The Proactions are made by Tokico to exact Steeda specs. The tech at Steeda told me they spent 2 1/2 yrs perfecting the compression and rebound rates on the shocks/struts to match thier springs.

I'll try to keep everyone posted on the results.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:21 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I would consider a lot of things before making a decision.

Spent 2.5 YEARS perfecting their dampers? - please. That's why they're only what -$350 right? I'd be willing to bet their struts are nothing more than re-branded HP's. You also have to consider that different drivers have different preferences. You also have to consider that you may go thru 2 or 3 sets of springs in the time you have your car. Spend the extra $150/200 on a set of dampers that can suit your needs in any given situation. An autocross setup is much different than a road course setup. A drag setup suspension-wise is actually closer to an autocross than a road course setup (with these snowplow pigs anyway).

I had very much the same attitude whenI bought my Bilsteins. All I cared about was how the car would be on the raoad course - and it's great BUT it beats the **** out of me on the street on the seldom occassion I drive it anywhere but to and from the track. I have friends that autocross and would love to go mix it up with them once in a whilebut my car just isn't free enough.

All I can say is never say never. Considering the amount of money you will spend on your car - what's $200 more for a more universal application?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:34 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

I understand what the thread starter is saying and I would be totally onboard with you IF the D-Specs were difficult to adjust. I only use mine on the street and have adjusted them about a dozen times, and while that sounds like a lot for a street ride, when its as easy as turning a key why not mess with them? You have from zero to seven turns to deal with, while that certainly leaves a lot of room for adjustment it isnt so daunting that itl leave your head spinning. I for one would reccommend them to anyone looking to enhance thier suspension setup, from street car to race car.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

+1 They are very easy to adjust and for a measly $200 bucks difference in price,you could do just about any kind of driving with your car.
ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

I would consider a lot of things before making a decision.

Spent 2.5 YEARS perfecting their dampers? - please. That's why they're only what -$350 right? I'd be willing to bet their struts are nothing more than re-branded HP's. You also have to consider that different drivers have different preferences. You also have to consider that you may go thru 2 or 3 sets of springs in the time you have your car. Spend the extra $150/200 on a set of dampers that can suit your needs in any given situation. An autocross setup is much different than a road course setup. A drag setup suspension-wise is actually closer to an autocross than a road course setup (with these snowplow pigs anyway).

I had very much the same attitude whenI bought my Bilsteins. All I cared about was how the car would be on the raoad course - and it's great BUT it beats the **** out of me on the street on the seldom occassion I drive it anywhere but to and from the track. I have friends that autocross and would love to go mix it up with them once in a whilebut my car just isn't free enough.

All I can say is never say never. Considering the amount of money you will spend on your car - what's $200 more for a more universal application?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:36 AM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

+1! I love my tokicos. I too experimented (why not it takes a minute to adjust them), running each setting a week to get a good feel. I've settled on 5 turns off full stiff all the way around for street driving and couldn't be happier!