Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom shaker with a Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:51 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Custom shaker with a Vortech

great work
Old 07-29-2007, 10:45 AM
lieu910
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

I think it looks great, very neat and clean, but!.... As eluded to, that shield around the filter may be doing more harm than good. The shaker hoods are a very nice looking mod, but they are not as "functional" as one would think.

As you drive down the roadair actually travels several inches over the hood creating avacuum. This is why our hoods will shake or 'lift' as high speed, this, a result of the negative pressure over the top. I'm sure we've all seen commercials and such of the smoky air of a wind tunnel test, and you see the smoke flowing above the car. This vacuum effect is why a heat extractor hood aka the old 'cowl induction" from the late 60's were so much more effective than the 'ram air' hoods of the day.

A truly functional hood scoop has to be approximately 8" high, or higher to actually 'catch' air, unless of course, a scoop is sticking out in front of the car.

But back to my point. The heat sheild may be blocking the usual air from entering the filter as Stkjock mentioned, and decreasing a potentially better air volume. A before and after heat shield dyno run with the hood closed would be interesting to see!
This gets very convoluted, and here is why.The purpose of a heat shield is to deflect the hot air coming off of the engine from the intake. There is no question that hot air is a power robber, but just how effective a heat shield isthe issue. Many CAI kits make some type of effort to buffer the air intake from engine heat.

If you look at my design, you'll notice there is about a 2-3 inch gap from the shield to the filter, and the shield is onlyover about 1/3 of the surface area. Taking my ques for this shield directly from Vortech, I guess I am relying on their R&D more than my own.

I'd be willing to wager that there is no appreciable impact on power positve or negative.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:50 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lieu910

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

I think it looks great, very neat and clean, but!.... As eluded to, that shield around the filter may be doing more harm than good. The shaker hoods are a very nice looking mod, but they are not as "functional" as one would think.

As you drive down the roadair actually travels several inches over the hood creating avacuum. This is why our hoods will shake or 'lift' as high speed, this, a result of the negative pressure over the top. I'm sure we've all seen commercials and such of the smoky air of a wind tunnel test, and you see the smoke flowing above the car. This vacuum effect is why a heat extractor hood aka the old 'cowl induction" from the late 60's were so much more effective than the 'ram air' hoods of the day.

A truly functional hood scoop has to be approximately 8" high, or higher to actually 'catch' air, unless of course, a scoop is sticking out in front of the car.

But back to my point. The heat sheild may be blocking the usual air from entering the filter as Stkjock mentioned, and decreasing a potentially better air volume. A before and after heat shield dyno run with the hood closed would be interesting to see!
This gets very convoluted, and here is why.The purpose of a heat shield is to deflect the hot air coming off of the engine from the intake. There is no question that hot air is a power robber, but just how effective a heat shield isthe issue. Many CAI kits make some type of effort to buffer the air intake from engine heat.

If you look at my design, you'll notice there is about a 2-3 inch gap from the shield to the filter, and the shield is onlyover about 1/3 of the surface area. Taking my ques for this shield directly from Vortech, I guess I am relying on their R&D more than my own.

I'd be willing to wager that there is no appreciable impact on power positve or negative.
Also, all of the air feeding the filter isn't only just coming from the shaker hood scoop, as on the stock air box, air comes from the lower engine compartment(although it's a wonder how the stock air box gets any type of concentrated air) from underneath the car. In effect, lieu910's design(per Vortech suggestions) gives his car a dual air intake(from above and below), with the upper air source being "rammed", denser air, under hard acceleration.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:50 PM
07USAFGT
1st Gear Member

well i think it looks sweet, and if you do market it....I mighe be in the market somewhere down the road, lol!
Old 07-30-2007, 01:47 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Nice work. CDC has some Mustangs running the centri supercharges with shaker hoods.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:50 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Dyno runs with a shaker are inaccurate because the purpose of the shaker is to redirect air from the shaker scoop to the air intake. The faster you drive the more air that is forced into the air intake. On a dyno, the car is standing still. On some dynos, there is a fan that blows cold air in front of the radiator to prevent the car from overheating but it does not simulate the volume of air being forced into the air intake at increasing speeds.

You may be able to get more accurate measurements form a G-Tech. It calculates your HP from the G forces on the car.
http://www.gtechpro.com/