Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modding questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:27 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

Default modding questions

ok, as you can see by the incredably small number next to the "posts" count in the box to the left, i'm a little new here as am i new to the mustang lifestyle. (my 07 GT still has the temp registration tag on it) BUT, even though its new and feels fast to me still, i dont like the idea of looking at other peoples tail lights just as much as the next guy. so i've come up with some questions i need answered before i start upgrading this pony.

1) do i really need an engine tuner to install things like cold air intakes, mufflers, x-pipes, throtle bodys, and mass air flow sensors?

2) do i really need to run premium fuels after i do these mods? (highest here in vegas is 91 octane) i'm not a cheapo when it comes to gas, so i will if i have to, i'm just curious.

3) if i lower it using lowering springs, what else do i need to buy? (i.e. - can it be alligned using the factory camber adjustments when going 1-2 inches?) and if theres a better way than springs,please say something about it.

4) is there a tuner out ther to increase HP with no mods? and if so is it worth it?

5) why do superchargers and turbo setups cost so dam much?

6) and lastly, what is a good combo of stuffi could do to a factory stock pony that wont break the bank but will give me a little edge on the competition? **if your only going to answer one question, please pick this one**

thanks alot all.
Tony
Old 07-30-2007, 12:31 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: modding questions

i'll take #1& 5

Yes and who knows

welcome to the forums and looks like your on the
right track

Old 07-30-2007, 12:38 AM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

1) do i really need an engine tuner to install things like cold air intakes, mufflers, x-pipes, throtle bodys, and mass air flow sensors?

- you don't need a tuner for mufflers or h/x-pipe. Some intakes don't require a tune, but you won't gain nearly as much HP.

2) do i really need to run premium fuels after i do these mods? (highest here in vegas is 91 octane) i'm not a cheapo when it comes to gas, so i will if i have to, i'm just curious.

- you can squeeze out a few more ponies with a premium tune, but no you don't have to. (I won't either because of price)

- gotta pay to play. It's not that bad considering your new output vs a factory vehicle with the same HP.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

hmmmm.....i guess ill take a crack at it.........Most intakes out there, ir you're wanting some real hp gain, it goignt o take a intake and a tuner which is probably gonna cost you abut $450-$750, which is for a cold air intake systemAND a tuner (the going rate as of right now) and can give u between 30-50 hp/rwhp....

If u can get a supercharger its even better, because more air = more hp..........

s/c's and turbo's right now cost so much cause they offer the most hp to our cars........

I have 18" polished AluminumFord wheels with BFGoodrich Tires for sale if u are interested...............just PM me or reply here.......
Old 07-30-2007, 12:44 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

I just recently got a Steeda Air Intake systemand installed a Diablo Predator tune for 93 octane, since it isthe only fuel that i use, and it turned my pony into a real MUSTANG!!!!........i seriously recommend it....when u get ur mustang it is still asleep.....program it with a tuner, and it is awakened!!!!!!!!! When u finally take the leap and do it, you will understand!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:58 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

anyone use a pro-charger setup??? i found some online and they claim to put the 05-07 GT into the 11 second range in the 1/4 mile. it thisa crock or is it 4 real??

and i would love to buy your wheels, but i want to make it fast before i make it pretty. even though i like it stock, i plan to do bigger wheels and maybe a roush body kit after i finish with the "go" upgrades.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

anyone???
Old 07-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: One Bad Stang

anyone use a pro-charger setup??? i found some online and they claim to put the 05-07 GT into the 11 second range in the 1/4 mile. it thisa crock or is it 4 real??

and i would love to buy your wheels, but i want to make it fast before i make it pretty. even though i like it stock, i plan to do bigger wheels and maybe a roush body kit after i finish with the "go" upgrades.
they could.... but you'd need supporting mods... suspension and tires for sho!!! gears and one piece DS would certainly get you 11's IMO...
Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

#6. Start with the basics. CAI and tune. Then UDP, DS and gears. Along the way swap the mufflers to get a better sound. Might pick up some HP with new mufflers but it won't be much if any. Try this one for exhaust sounds: https://mustangforums.com/m_3563477/tm.htm

Also and most importantly, do some reading and searching on here and elsewhere. You can never have too much info.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:00 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: One Bad Stang

3) if i lower it using lowering springs, what else do i need to buy? (i.e. - can it be alligned using the factory camber adjustments when going 1-2 inches?) and if theres a better way than springs,please say something about it.

4) is there a tuner out ther to increase HP with no mods? and if so is it worth it?

6) and lastly, what is a good combo of stuffi could do to a factory stock pony that wont break the bank but will give me a little edge on the competition? **if your only going to answer one question, please pick this one**

thanks alot all.
Tony
1) Yes for intake, x-pipe, headers, tb, maf. No for mufflers, udp.

2) You can tune for 87 but you should run 91+.

3) Don't know.

4) Any tuner will increase HP with no mods, but supporting mods are highly recommended.

5) I don't feel like answering this.

6) Intake, tuner, udp, cmcv deletes, o/r H or X pipe. That combo should give you about around 40hp.

Quick Reply: modding questions