Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual transmission additive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Valyndiir

Default RE: Manual transmission additive?

What about Amsoil for engine oil? I thought they were the best. Some racing buddies told me they would put 15K on the stuff and it would still drain clear as if it hadn't broken down.

The royal purple thing bugs me a bit, I'll have to read up. I've used redline autotranny fluid before with excellent results. I think I may even like them better than B&M syn trickshift. If the fluid was causing more friction there would be an increase in heat correct? Are these manuals cooled at all and is there a sensor for temperature? I may have to set up gauges for oil/tranny.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:17 AM
danam
2nd Gear Member

stick to factory specs i did for all my cars and never had any problems, even over 150K miles on them.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:20 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

I have never been a fan of RP they have a great advertising campaign but i honestly do not think their product can compete with Redline's.

I am a loyal Redline user they use very high quality base stocks. I use Mobil 1 in the engine and Redline in the rest of the drivetrain. Always have always will.

Richard
Old 08-04-2007, 12:40 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: s197richie

I always thought that a short-shifter was synonymous with increased shifter effort (which is why I don't like them)...isn't this true?
Yes it is true. Shorter throws = more effort.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Valyndiir

Tufoil is apparently everything it is made out to be. This stuff is just insane. Already ordered some

They say not to add this to your engine until it has 5-10k miles on it. Is this true? I only have 2500...

On the Red Line oil, which one should I use?? There are a bunch of different weights out there.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:20 PM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

i'll give you 100 if you want to get another shifter besides i'm left handed it'll just make my right arm stronger so they stay equal in strength
Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Valyndiir

Tufoil is apparently everything it is made out to be. This stuff is just insane. Already ordered some

They say not to add this to your engine until it has 5-10k miles on it. Is this true? I only have 2500...

On the Red Line oil, which one should I use?? There are a bunch of different weights out there.
I sort of believe Tufoil about not adding it until after a certain mileage. Its such a slippery lubricant that its possible it could affect the needed engine wear.... Who knows though. HOnestly, I think engine wear happens immediately and will be done by 1K miles. Its your call.

Keep in mind Tufoil used to say don't add until 15K, so by saying 5-10K its possible theyre just trying to be 'nicer', so maybe you wouldn't want to add it even sooner than that. 5K seems ok. My opinion.

Anyways brace yourself because your engine will get annoying quiet, like after an oil change but maybe even quieter. It will get some volume again, though, but will go away again with the next use. Remember, use one full 8 ounce oil right away, with your current oil, then just replace 4 ounces with each oil change.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Valyndiir

By "annoying quiet" do you mean the exhaust note will lose volume or that you will not hear/feel as much normal engine vibration?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM
EskimoPie
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Also put 8 ounces in my tranny.... Didnt feel a difference but my goal is avoiding wear and tear, not to actually feel anything.
Is this stuff recommended to be put in manual transmissions or did you just come up with the idea???? Wait a sec, are you the guy who put red Loctite on his oil drain plug???