Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

black tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:28 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: black tail lights

Just left them alone... at night you can see the break lights fine.. espesially if you leave the third break light alone. During the day you can see the break lights as well... just not as bright.
The good thing about the covers is you can take them off if you need to.

ORIGINAL: luckydawg003

Did you guys with tinted tail lights have to change the bulbs to brighter ones? Or did you just leave the stock bulbs in? I have been thinking about doing this mod too.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

I left the stock bulbs also. The light barley is dimmer and the taillights still reflect when light is shined on them.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:42 PM
06DropTopGT
1st Gear Member

You could be setting yourself up to being pulled over very often. You usually see warinings on those products such as "Not legal for street use."
Old 08-09-2007, 04:20 PM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

I would worry more about the other issue...getting rear-ended and it becoming your fault for non-DOD approved taillights. Nothing like getting a law suit for whiplash from some SOB.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

But if they still light up to a certain distance and also reflect up to the required distance there is no problem.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:30 AM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

Sounds good, but if you were in a jury box and someone claimed that "I could not see his brake lights cause they had been painted over or covered with something with 'for off-road use only' in the product's advertising," I'm afraid your decision would not be based on the defendent's claim that you could still see his brake lights "pretty far." That is just how I feel. I work in the medical world and unfortunately a lot of what is done in our business is guided by insurance and lawyers...I'm just spooked! They do look good, and I had purchased covers and then sent them back for this very reason.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:49 AM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

Hey Prime do you do yourall your mods urselfor were do you get your work done i live in whittier and want to find a deent shop
Old 08-10-2007, 10:49 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

I do them myself. I work at Citrus Ford in Ontario
Old 08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: BigDave

Sounds good, but if you were in a jury box and someone claimed that "I could not see his brake lights cause they had been painted over or covered with something with 'for off-road use only' in the product's advertising," I'm afraid your decision would not be based on the defendent's claim that you could still see his brake lights "pretty far." That is just how I feel. I work in the medical world and unfortunately a lot of what is done in our business is guided by insurance and lawyers...I'm just spooked! They do look good, and I had purchased covers and then sent them back for this very reason.
+1
tinting brake lights could backfire just for the need to "look good"
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

I've been stopped, ticketed, fought it and won. California vehicle code states that taillamps need to illuminate red in color and up to 1,000 feet. Reflect up to 350 feet from a normal low beam bulb and brake lights need to illuminate red from up to 300 feet. As long as your lights still function this way there is no problem. The light housing does not need to be red in color. Otherwise Lexus's would not be allowed on the road. The only red they have is for the reflectors.

Quick Reply: black tail lights