Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to open the Interior Fuse Box? plus some dash board vibration info

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:23 PM
msbmustang

Default How to open the Interior Fuse Box? plus some dash board vibration info

I feel quite stupid asking such a simple question but I can't get the fuse box on the passenger side outside lower foot area open. I pulled the panel cover off and there is a small horizontal plastic box there but there does not seem to be a latch to open it? I am a very big guy and it is very difficult to get down there to even look at the box. I even considered taking out the front passenger seat so I could get a better look at it but decided it would be easier to take it in for warranty than doing all that. Read the manual but it was no help. The 12VDC outlet inside my center console is not working and I think it must be the fuse. Of course the manual does not say which fuse it is even if I get the box open!!! Very frustrated over such a simple thing! Especially after spending 5 hours taking out the center console, dashboard panels and instrument panel to track down a vibration problem. By the way if anyone is interested all the plastic panels connected to the dash and the center console need damping material applied to get rid of most of the vibration noises BUT the main display has an internal “Spring Like” vibration noise that occurs under hard acceleration or bumps that cannot be fixed with damping material. I removed the display, unplugged it and if you gently hit it the entire display makes a very loud ringing/pinging noise. I shock mounted the entire display with EAR damping material and that helps a lot but if you hit the dash hard you can still hear a ringing sound coming out of the instrument panel. AND after all that I can’t get the #%&*#@$ interior fuse box open!!!

Sometimes the simple things are harder to get done than the difficult ones!!!

Thanks,
Mark/MSB Mustang
Old 08-11-2007, 07:30 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How to open the Interior Fuse Box? plus some dash board vibration info

as i recall.....on the left side of the fuse box, there
is a little "latch"

it's a PITA, but if your patient and just work it, eventually
you'll press in (or pull) on the right spot and it will open up.....

sorry i couldn't be much more help then that.......
Old 08-11-2007, 07:56 PM
msbmustang

Default RE: How to open the Interior Fuse Box? plus some dash board vibration info

Thanks for the suggestion. I just reached in there and found what felt like a plastic latch tab on the left side of the box. I put a little pressure on it and ...it snapped off and the box is still not open! Dang! Easier to pull out the instrument panel than it is to change a fuse?!

Mark
Old 08-11-2007, 08:15 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

I got mine off to do my raptor and never put it back on b/c it was a pain in the a$$, and it wouldn't fit due to the add a fuse i put in But i don't recall too much trouble getting it off.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:16 PM
luvrbcs
2nd Gear Member

I got to the fuse box by removing the kick panel.

In the footwell, pull the panel towards you, there is one clip. Then pull the other face of the panel (the long piece running up the door side)straight out. There is a clip at the bottom and some different type clips at the top.

Good luck pulling, it's scary.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:02 PM
msbmustang

luvrbcs,

Thanks for the sugestion. I was thinking about taking the side panel off so now I will try that next.

By the way does anyone know if the fuse for the accessory outlet in the center console is in that box? My manual does not show a fuse for it. I measured the voltage at the back side pins of the socket when I had the console out to work on the dash vibrations and there was not voltage present so I figured it must be a blown fuse?

Mark/MSB Mustang

PS-Nice pic of your black GT!! I sold my black GT several weeks ago...here is a pic of the one I have been working on all day today...

[IMG]local://upfiles/19203/358478CEAAB34CF5842216F1E0ECC305.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-11-2007, 09:20 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it looks to me like it is

F1, 61 (located in the engine bay fuse box)

ORIGINAL: msbmustang

By the way does anyone know if the fuse for the accessory outlet in the center console is in that box?
[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/21A21855C2A24DFAA96A627E8177C8E4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/9EB6019A9360412E8F2E01A9DEA99212.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-11-2007, 09:24 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

I think the powerpoint in the dash is in the fuse box under the hood. Number 61 according to the owners manual. Also, here is a pic of the kick panel fuse box cover. Not a great pic, but going from memory, I think you need to pull back on the two clips you can see on the right side, and the it pivots to the left and unhooks.....I think......[8D][8D]

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/6C19FE2C2E1C48A0BB7D4BB4E0219A67.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-12-2007, 01:20 AM
msbmustang

Thanks Hammeron and Mlcrycc,

I am going tomeasure F161 with my ohmmeter right now (11pm-have to go find a flashlight)...it was good but I rechecked the manual and saw thereWERE logical fuseslisted in the manualfor the console. Fuse 64 was the "Power Point" for the console and sure enough the #64 - 20A fuse was blown!!! Unfortunately my stash of fuses are larger types than the ones used in my GT500 soooo Monday I will have to stop by Frys or an Auto parts store and pick up some "Mini" fuses.

Thanks everyone!!! Now I wonder what that tiny little tab was that I broke off ofthe left side of the fuse box in the passenger compartment...

Mark/MSB Mustang