Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warming up the engine???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Jokeurmnd
2nd Gear Member

Default Warming up the engine???

I just had a quick question. I was always taught that when you first turn on your engine after letting it rest for the night or hours to let the engine "warm up" before driving off.I do this with my older car as well as the 'stang. Would it hurt my engine in the long run if i don't or is this just a myth.If its true how long do I let it sit???
Old 08-13-2007, 06:38 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Warming up the engine???

The engine will let you know when it's warm because the RPMs will drop from around 1100 to around 800. You can just start it up and go, but I believe it's ideal to give the engine a bit of time to warm up (like at least 30 seconds, or longer if it's cold outside) to get the fluids flowing a bit and get everything lubricated before you put any strain on it.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:45 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Let it warm up, every car has it's normal operating temperature. On start-up, a car is no where near this temperature, I always let my car warm up(cuts down on cylinder bore wear, which happens when engine is cold on start-up). I've owned over 15 cars/trucks over the past 25+ years and always tell anyone interested, change your fluids when recommended(if not sooner) and let your vehicle warm up upon start-up. It is myth, your car will last much longer if you let it warm up properly upon a cold start-up. 2-3 minutes should suffice in 40-50 degree weather, if colder, than let it warm until the heater feels warm.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

I always let me cars warm up before taking off and driving in them. Also even when you let the car warm up it is still not at proper operating temp. So drive very easy for at least the first ten minutes. It will take approx. 15 minutes of idling to get an engine up to the normal operating temp.

Richard
Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

if you don't have the patience to let it idle until you see movement on the temp gauge, at least take it easy for the first couple of miles (nice, low rpms) until you're halfway up the temp gauge. Then, put the hammer down (don't want that adaptive learning thing messing upyour track times lol)...
Old 08-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Jokeurmnd
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the comfort you guys I'm glad to know I've been doing the right thing.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:45 PM
LiLJimmyNorton

I was always taught also that you need to "Warm up" your car before you drive off. Makes sense if you think about it especially in cold climates. Warm climates i dont think it matters too much .. but it does make sense to let the oil warm up some, If you drive off from a cold start your oil is "thick" putting more stress on the oil pump. As my dad use to say "Youroil is filled with metal shavingsand its like running sandpaper through they motor" I would always tell him that when the oil is warm the same metel shavings are stillthere lol ... Letting it warm up to operating temp would ease the stress on your oil pump in cold weather but i doubt it would do much more ...
Old 08-13-2007, 07:59 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

About a minute or two...that's what I do...
Old 08-13-2007, 08:12 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jokeurmnd

I just had a quick question. I was always taught that when you first turn on your engine after letting it rest for the night or hours to let the engine "warm up" before driving off.I do this with my older car as well as the 'stang. Would it hurt my engine in the long run if i don't or is this just a myth.If its true how long do I let it sit???
The whole idea of letting an engine warm up has more to do with bringing the oil temeterature up from ambient to approximately 212 deg. (100c)than anything else.

Bringing the water temp up takes very little time. It can take as long as 20 minutes to get the oil temp up.

Yes, over the long run your engine could be damaged from improper warm-up. Rod bearings and cam lobes.

This is why you want to use an oil that provides a good "Barrier" additive package. (moly, PH and Zinc)
Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

+1 to letting the rpm's come down and
taking it easy for the next 10 minutes or so.....

Quick Reply: Warming up the engine???