Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:51 AM
danbogart
2nd Gear Member

Default Tuner Questions?

So I'm about to purchase an SCT tuner for my car (stock as of now) and my question is, Every time I upgrade a part (CAI, Pulleys, Exhaust, Gears, Etc) will I have to pay the $75 for another tune? Also I have been going back and forth between Ba ma and Brenspeed. How do they stack up? Also the sct tuner comes with 3 loaded tunes, can you transfer a tune from the tuner to your laptop and save them in case you want to use them later (after putting new tunes on the tuner)? Sorry I'm such a newb, but I'm 24 and cant go spending ALL my hard earned money on my car (*cough cough* my girlfriend would kill me *cough cough*). [sm=smiley19.gif]
Old 08-23-2007, 08:19 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tuner Questions?

Are you planning to stay stock or adding a cai later? If you are planning to add the cai, then wait and buy the combo. It will save you some money for another mod. Check with both tune providers to see if they charge for subsequent tune.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:43 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Buy the CAI/tune combo from either place.

B ama will update the tune later for free
Brenspeed will only if you buy the parts from them

The tunes will be loaded on the tuner from these guys and NOT the canned tunes, they cannot be transferred to a computer you will have to have the tuner email you the tunes
Old 08-23-2007, 03:56 PM
danbogart
2nd Gear Member

I know they say you get what you pay for, but really how can the technology differ that much between lets say a JLT and a C&L intake? I know everyone says that C&L is the way to go, but are the hp gains really that significant?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:15 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

No the actual difference between the JLT and C&L is mostly you preference for how it looks....performance wise, esentially the same
Old 08-23-2007, 09:35 PM
danbogart
2nd Gear Member

Last question. I currently have 20" wheels on my car (going back to stock wheels for winter) and when you order from brenspeed or Ba ma they ask for a wheel size. Is it possible to get tunes for each wheel size when I order it? Has anyone done this and if so is there an extra cost?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:56 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

wheel size doesnt matter, tire diameter does, even if you have 20s the tire size might be the same, but yes you can adjust if needed
Old 08-23-2007, 10:00 PM
VirginiaStang06

Im not to sure if you really need a different tune for tires...or atleast i havnt heard of anyone asking for a new tune after they got new wheels. Most of what you put up you dont really need a tune. The pullies, gears, and if you just change the axle backs you wont need a diff tune. You can allways email or call them to make sure though. But if you havnt decided on what company to buy from, i highly recommend Evolution. They have a pretty good deal on the JLT intake and SCT tuner....its $525 for the intake and tunerand that includes3 tunes of your choice. I would deff. get the 93 extreme tune, will put you back in your seat everytime.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 PM
mechanicterry
1st Gear Member

How is evolution on service? I have received excellent service from Brenspeed. They get back to me within 1 day usually anytime I email them a question. The parts seem reasonable from them to.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 PM
danbogart
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the tip. The only thing that sucks is 92 is the highest octane available here (WA). [sm=headbang.gif]

Quick Reply: Tuner Questions?