Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crate Engine Swap/Built Engine Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:07 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

Default Crate Engine Swap/Built Engine Q's

I was just thinking about the next big step to for my car and I was thinking about 3 different options. I tried searching but didn't some up with anything that really helped. Just a feeler thread.

Choices:
1. Crate Engine
2. Forced induction
3. Build curent engine + forced inducton

Before I get flamed here, I have no idea what it takes to swap engines, nor do I have any idea how much it will come out to money wise.

So my question is, what type of engine would be best for a swap? I was looking at a crate engine to get me into the 500's. I'm assuming it would be something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...QQcmdZViewItem

Like I said, I don't know anything about engine swapping. Just getting big bumbers and staying N/A souds good to me. What would need to go into this outside of things like a transmission? Would this engine even fit? Lastly, how much would I need to take from my kids college fund to perform this?

Now on to my questions about a built engine. Approx. how much HP/TQ can be squeezed out of a built stock 4.6 with forged internals and S/C?

Since I'm not quite made of money I already know I will likely end up turbocharging the GT and changing over to forged internals. I love the superchargers and all but I'm a turbo guy at heart. Something about the sounds it makes just put a smile on my face .

Sorry for sounding like a noob, so please take it easy on me

Neal
Old 09-02-2007, 02:27 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Crate Engine Swap/Built Engine Q's

option #2

good luck with your project and keep
us posted

Old 09-02-2007, 02:29 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

How much hp you squeezng out with your whipple? I was looking at the saleen extreme s/c if any because I believe it is the highest output? Might be wrong.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:48 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

No on the motor you're looking at on ebay, unless you want to take a step back in time with a carburator and push rods, not to mention you would need a new transmission, custom fabricated motor mounts, radiator, not sure where you would find headers that would fitthen there is the wiring and the computer and the list goes on. My friend and I just got done putting a carburated small block chevy in a 96 avenger http://www.overlandconcepts.com/page...225&pid=94 and 440 in a 1965 Dodge Dart both of which required more modifications and cutting than you would ever want to do to your s197 mustang!

Yes on the supercharger or turbo, do some reading on this site and you will see the pros and cons of each..
Old 09-02-2007, 02:53 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

I get shivers every time I watch this vid... If only $ grew on trees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsKvrfyULhU
Old 09-02-2007, 03:06 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

Like I said, I'll likely go with the turbo and forged internals. Should be a pretty fast ride. I ideally want it to be my weekend warrior of around 700hp or so. One day...
Old 09-02-2007, 03:12 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I always had that problem with my cars. Finding a compromise between max. HP and min. money. Turbos are the more efficient but most expensive, so that answer that.
Crate engines are great on carbureted cars and 5.0swhen they're stroked. But you have a 4.6 and right now, there's not a lot of choice for a naturally aspirated modular block. Take a351 block, stroke it to 460 (man O war for example) and you have 625/650 horses at the crank with about the same amount of torque. I could be wrong but I don't think anyone's doing that with a 4.6 block and if so, what's the price tag?
The cheapest for the buck might be a twin srew S.Charger still. I'm looking into that myself as a matter of fact.
One more thing I'm wondering: Is the 3 valve engine in the S197 has forged internals?? The Terminators do, that's why those cars are so tough (+ quad cams). It was just my non professional input...I'm a custom body man.
Good luck on that one...
Old 09-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

for a crate motor http://www.fordracingparts.com/crate...dularcobra.asp
but you'd want to lower the compression to a more chargable level
Old 09-02-2007, 04:02 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I discussed going the 4valve route with Lidio at Alternative Auto. While it seems like such an obvious way to go, the extent and cost of the modifications, over and above the motor itself,would make the project an exercise in money burning and little more.
He told me to stick with the 3v motor and just force more A/F into it with pulleys and fuel pressure. At some point you MUST get forged internals but you know, that isn't as expensive as you'd think, it shocked me. The beauty of F/I is that it overcomes basic design inefficiencies, if the motor isn't getting enough air, change a pulley

I love the idea of a huge big block sitting up front but in these days of electronic motor management and [relatively] inexpensive forced induction options, it really isn't neccesary.....
Old 09-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

going FI works great on the S197 3V motor. You can get a varitey of set ups to push 500ish crank HP and have a 11.8-12.2 car with some supporting mods.... ie suspension, DS and rear DRs.

if u go fully build LB....well IMO you could easily get the 700 your talking about..... but let me tell u.....500 is pretty damn fast!

Quick Reply: Crate Engine Swap/Built Engine Q's