Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheated my brakes... aka my ish talk

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:59 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Default Overheated my brakes... aka my ish talk

I thought tonight I'd go for a ride just before going to sleep. After seeing 4 police cars on western part of Sunset bl. instead of none as usual I realized I better go elsewhere so in about 15 minutes I was flying down Mulholland ave. After about 4 mins of track-like driving on a road witha lot of turns I got to the ugly part where it's no fun anymore and made a U turn. Since I put my 14 inch Baer rotors with Hawk pads on about a month ago and have not yet had a chance to drive on a road like that I thought I'd come out and check on them because I felt like I lost some braking power. I pulled over to the side, got out of the car and bended to take a look at them and that's when I felt this heat hit me in the face. They were a little overheated. Next thing that caught my eye was an oncoming Carrera. It was one of the latest ones, I'm guessing 2003-2004 or so. It flew by me at a high speed and I heard him accelerating fast after passing that turn so I knew he was up to something. I got stuck between waiting for the brakes to cool off a little more (I still had about 90 percent of braking power) and drivingby myself like an idiot or follow the Porsche for the first time (I only drag raced one before) and see how the outcome is gonna be. Plus we were gonna go uphill for at least 1 min so I didn't needto apply themas much as before anyway. After about a mile I, finally, caught up withhim. He slowed down a little bit I guess letting me get closer so we start at about the same point and then as soon as I did heaccelerated and we went at it.By thetime we were done I completely lost my brakes and it'd takeme about 1/8 of a mile to stopif I were going 50mph. Even thoughI only ended up4-5 seconds behind him after a tailgating start. Not bad for knowing that his car is 3 times more expensive. He wanted to continue on going to the other part, but I had to make a left because I had no chance plus I didn't want the rotors to crack on me. If it wasn't for ford caliper, hawk pad and baer rotor combo with original brake lines, I could've had him. 700 bux spend on the brake system for it to overheat in 6 minutes. What will it take for a mustang to finally be refered to as a SPORTS car, not a ricer killer? 30-40k? Should I have gone with Wilwood for 3 grand and possibly still experience the same problem except for after 10 minutes? I lost hope in this car. Imagine it on the track for 2 hours. in about 10 minutes I was home and got my brake power back, but they were still hot.[:@]
How does the lifetime warranty work on Baer rotors?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:43 AM
docile_pony

Default RE: Overheated my brakes... aka my ish talk

It's a muscle car/pony car. It will never be a Ferrari or Porsche right out of the box, which is why you can own one for half the price.

As for brakes fading, well thats becuase there is no built in cooling for brakes on the s197. You will need something to force air on the disc's to keep them cooled down.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:07 AM
redfirevert06
1st Gear Member

Get a brake duct cooling system and SS lines, then replace your fuild with something that has a higher boiling point than the stock fluid.
That should be a good starting point.
Good luck!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

strangely, i've never thought of my stang
as a sports car, muscle car yes, sports car no.

i hope you get your brake issue solved to
your satisfaction
Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

My brain hurts
Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Looks like you bought the cheaper package...Though better

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...idproduct=1082

Here is what you need...

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...idproduct=1081

Old 09-07-2007, 04:11 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

If it wasn't for ford caliper, hawk pad and baer rotor combo with original brake lines, I could've had him.
That's funny... a 'Stang could have kept up with a Porsche Carrera? On Mulholland? Either it was a Boxter, or the driver was horrible.

Definitely flush the brake fluid since it sounds like you cooked it pretty good. Replace it with DOT 4, which should work great (higher boiling point). Should help with the overheat problem. Are the rotors warped?

Old 09-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

so... your brakes weren't working 100%... and you couldn't resist chasing/racing a car? WOW...[sm=bangbang.gif]
Old 09-07-2007, 04:42 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Ive autocrossed my stang once for ****s and giggles since my buddy does it often. My stock brakes held up perfectly fine, i was on them pretty hard for 3 minutes and 17 seconds and they stopped just as good at the end as they did in the beggining. Idk, maybe you should stick to drag racing like these carsare made for, or prepare to spend big $$$ to get it where you wanted.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:00 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

what make the baer caliper better than ours? There still 2 piston arent they? Think he just needs braided lines and better brake fluid.

Quick Reply: Overheated my brakes... aka my ish talk