Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Clutch Install Problem...Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:22 PM
ECR5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Aftermarket Clutch Install Problem...Help Please

Well got my car back and i dont think its the short throw. Let me explain why, I push the pedel all the way to the floor and go to put it in first gear and before the car is in gear and i let off the clutch the car is moving forward. I do the same with reverse, just when im about the put it in reverse the car starts moving backward while my foot is pushed all the way in. It is very difficult through the whol gear box, almost needing two hands to put it into gear sometimes. The console in the car is abnormally hot, hotter then what i remember it being. I am at a loss for words. I just do think you can mess up a clutch install when they labeled the parts and told you which way they go in. To me i think its the clutch. I replaced everything, pilot bearing, the slave cylinder, flywheel and full clutch assembly. (RST McLeod Clutch). If someone is out there with one or heard of these problems or might know what it is i would apprecaiste your help.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:35 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I'm not any help here (football hot wings and beer) so

bump
Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

well then it goes back to my original
analysis.....one that says for some reason
the clutch may not be fully engaging.

why that is, i have no clue. maybe someone
like fanboy can offer some insight....

Old 09-10-2007, 08:12 PM
ECR5.0
2nd Gear Member

tried doing a search and couldnt find his name to PM him, is that the correct name?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:14 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

fordfanboy
Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

When we measure from the top of the flywheel to the top of the pressure plate forks the aftermarket clutch was about 50/1000 of an inch taller.

You say you've 'heard great things about this clutch' but I honestly have heard NOTHING about it (as far as S197's go) Now I'm for sure not the end all of information and just because I'm not familiar with it doesn't mean it's not out there and it's not great but from what you describe and your comments I quoted, I'm pretty confident it's the clutch that's giving you the issues. When I tested the clutchmaster, the spec, and the centerforce, I never noticed that difference between the flywheel and pressure plate. I'm pretty confident it's not the shifter so that leaves either the install or the clutch itself. You seem to have a competent installer so I'm leaning towards the clutch itself. Can you return it?

Are you familiar with any other S197's that have this clutch? I did a quick search and couldn't find anyone else. It is tricky to bleed the clutch on these cars and is kind of a PIA but, again, sure seems like you have a confident installer, and it's not rocket science, it's just tedious. Besides, if it was a bleeding issue (or lack thereof) you would feel it instantly in the pedal. Again, you don't have this issue either so all roads point to the clutch. Even if it is a 'good' clutch - getting one a 'little off' happens now and then and I would definitely try something else.

Since you are using a shop, does he have any other clutches he can pop in your car for a test? I would drop another clutch in there and if it worked fine, you'd know for sure your clutch is the culprit. I personally think it's your clutch not engaging properly and it's internal with the clutch itself.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM
stevo692

its your clutch cable. buy an aftermarket clutch cable/quadrant. ie ford racing, bbk, etc. had the same problem your stock cable is a piece a ****, replace it your problems will be solved
Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stevo692

its your clutch cable. buy an aftermarket clutch cable/quadrant. ie ford racing, bbk, etc. had the same problem your stock cable is a piece a ****, replace it your problems will be solved
um....we have hydraulic clutches ....
Old 01-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Old thread!
Hes off to a wrong start, lol. Welcome to the boards stevo!

What was the fix while were here.