Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Positraction on 2005's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Danko

Default Positraction on 2005's?

I looked at a list of options for the new GT (I could not find the conv.'s) and I do not see positraction listed as an option. I have had no Mustangs since two 1995 R's and know nothing about if the new ones have posi standard or as an option. Wuzzup widdat??? Info would be appreciated. THNX!!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 06:49 PM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Positraction on 2005's?

All '05 GTs come with traction lock standard.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Danko

Thnx much. That was reassuring! Your car looks great (other than the spoiler I will never appreciate). Are those the standard GT wheels and the optional ones are shiny? Those that you have are very retro going back to the look of the old "mag" wheels of the 60's.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

The wheels in the pic's are the stock wheel, no extra charge, that came on my 05 GT prem. 5spd. also. My car is the dark red, redfire. I like the retro wheels with the redfire paint.

Prior to my purchase, I asked the sales manager the "posi" question. He pulled up a dealer info. web site that stated that all GT's came with the locking rear, previously refered to as "limited slip", made me feel better. I haven't tried to do a TCS (traction control system) off, burnout yet. Still going easy for a nice engine break in.

Good luck with your purchase !!

[IMG]local://upfiles/12415/7EE9422B5E864DABA80D0103142B4CDC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-13-2005, 11:16 PM
StarDragon

Positraction on a Ford? When did that start happening? I thought positraction was a Chevy trade name.[sm=smiley16.gif]
Old 02-14-2005, 12:47 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Like your ride. The Black with those wheels looks "RIGHT ON!"

I was a little more cowardly in a way. Didn't want to deal with trying to keep a black car looking the way it should. I went with the "Screaming Yellow" and the fancy shiney wheel option.

What are you using for wax?

Gregory
Old 02-14-2005, 01:25 PM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

As far as I know positraction is not a trademark for chevy. Positraction is short for positive traction and it's a term that goes back to the early years of dragracing.

Yes the wheels are factory stock and the wax I use is Meguiars GTx
Old 02-14-2005, 10:12 PM
StarDragon

PosiTrac is the name that GM gave to their LSD's way back in the 50's (one of the first) which is likely why everyone refers to their own LSD as "PosiTrac". Like "Kleenex" everyone refers to facial tissue as Kleenex". Nice to have such brand recognition no matter who's brand you use.

Only GM vehicles that have a LSD have PosiTrac. Its all the same mechanicals, but different trademark names.

Ford - Traction-Lok
GM - PosiTrac
Dodge - Sure-grip

Old 02-15-2005, 12:58 AM
Bruno

The service department at your dealer should be able to download the exact specs and features of your car based on it's VIN #. I have done a lot of research on this recently as I mistakenly thought my V6 prem had TCS installed. As it turns out I have a "misbuild", the TCS button was installed at the factory but the car doesn't have it. Anyhoo, to get to the point, my dealer investigated installing a limited slip rear end for me and in the process we learned that even with the GT's, the TCS uses the ABS sensors to "brake" the spinning wheel and thats what redistributes power to the wheel with traction. It does not use a limited slip. But you can check for sure through the service guys, my VIN printout clearly shows "non-limited slip" on the rear end section. It's seems hard to get the straight scoop and perhaps they do have a limited slip available, but not according to what the factory is telling my dealer. Fortunately I didn't pay for it and he's giving me another $500 off the car to offset getting one installed aftermarket.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:38 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I have McQuires. Next Generation "Tech Wax" haven't used it yet. A friend of mine went to a McQuire's seminar with a BMW club. He said this was the newest best of the McQuire's.

I'll try to double check with him tomorrow.

Is this the same thing you are referring to as GTx? I've been using McQuires rubber and vinyl treatments for years. 26 year old car has like new rubber parts. Don't know why haven't been using their wax. [&o] However, I've been using their quick detailer prodcut on my '04 Yamaha FJR1300, extremely impressed!

Quick Reply: Positraction on 2005's?