Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Braking

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Assassins
1st Gear Member

Default ABS Braking

Hi, I am new and would like to know why most hi-end cars dont have ABS braking? Which is better, i was told that ABS helps you stop faster and I also hear it is only so that if you need to turn while braking you can.

Which is better ABS or the standard system?

Thank you
Old 02-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ABS Braking

When you say "high end" do you mean, highest $$. I ask because after a recent search for my first sports car in some time, I didn't notice any that didn't have ABS. Vette, 350Z, Infiniti, BMW SUV, etc., even the Mustang that I am glad I bought.

If you are refering to older Lambo's and such. Maybe they don't lean towards new tech., and stick with low weight, raw power, huge brakes, and prices out of most of our reach. Truefully, I haven't looked at anything that high end to see if they have ABS.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Phillyblunt474
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Assassins

Hi, I am new and would like to know why most hi-end cars dont have ABS braking? Which is better, i was told that ABS helps you stop faster and I also hear it is only so that if you need to turn while braking you can.

Which is better ABS or the standard system?

Thank you
ABS has absoultly nothing to do with stopping idstance, thats what the problem was when they first came out. People belived they could stop faster, and ended up getting into more accidents since they wre waiting later to brake. All ABS allows you to do is steer when the tires lock up on a skid with out haveing to manually pump the brakes. On my stang i have ABS so i never have to pump the brakes if i lock up the tires on a skid, but in my 85 jeep cj-7 i dont have ABS so i do have to pump them in there.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Not a car expert by any means. However, I thought ABS stood for Antilock Braking System. The reason, you can still control the car is because the brakes don't lock-up. No tire skidding, thats when you can't steer with them. It was always my understanding that the ABS system gives the shortest stopping distance possible without the tire lock-up.

It would be benificial to hear more on this topic. I sure want to know if I need more experience/practice to stop in the shortest controlled distance, or if the ABS system helps me out.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Phillyblunt474
2nd Gear Member

ABS is the anti lock brakes, but they dont reduce your braking distance compaired to standard brakes, they just allow you to steer when hard braking where your tires would usally lock up
Old 02-15-2005, 10:41 AM
birddog05gt

You are correct that it does allow you to steer while braking. ABS DOES stop faster. rolling friction is ALWAYS greater than sliding friction. Give me a day or so and I will find a comparison of braking distances on one car with the ABS on and with it off.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:34 AM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

Actually, ABS may cause longer stopping distances. Pure physics.....if you lock up your brakes (in a non-ABS equipped car), you are essentially "dragging" your non-turning wheels (becasue they are locked up) on the street. With ABS, the wheels keep rolling (which allows you to steer in a panic braking situation). Lots of qualifiers there (like stopping distances on gravel), but in general, your stopping distances increase using ABS brakes, but you will be able to steer yourself away from trouble, if possible with ABS.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:06 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

ABS stops faster.
It allows you to hit the limit of your tires traction, without breaking it. as soon as your tire starts to skid, the system will ease up just enough to stop the skid. then clamp back down, faster than a driver can do it.
A sliding stop is your worst situation, as you have already broke traction, and are now sliding, your tires have lost their ablity to grip. Think a stop on ice... different surface, but SAME effect.
If properly driven, a driver can come very close. ABS also allows you to continue to steer.
I have read that ferrari will not put ABS on there cars because it is not "macho"

This is my understanding of it anyhow.
Marty
Old 02-15-2005, 03:22 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

This seems to clear it up

http://www.visionengineer.com/mech/abs.shtml
Old 02-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Assassins
1st Gear Member

But is it possible to stop faster if you do you own pumping?

Quick Reply: ABS Braking