Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible question?

Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 PM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

Default convertible question?

Hey Vert owners, I'm new to the world of mustang and verts soI have afew questions for you. First, is about how long is the average life for a vinyl top? Second, to get an average life from it, what is considered normal usage, Example " once a day, twice a day, once a week, once a month"? Third question, What is the best cleaner for vinyl tops? Sorry for such noobie questions butI have only owned my mustang for a week and I want to get started on the right foot. Also any other helpful hints to keep it looking showroom floor condition would be great!!! Thanks for the input...
Old 09-16-2007, 08:28 PM
ECR5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: convertible question?

Not too sure about the average life of a top. I guess it all depends on the care that is put into it. From what i heard and correct me if im wrong about normal usage was that its not good to keep putting you top up and down during the day. If its down keep it down unless you really need to. Not sure if that makes sence. And on an average you might have the top down 3 times a week. As for cleaning i use a microfiber wash mit and soap up the top with some good car soap and then use an air compressor to dry it off and it seems to work well. Im not sure if there is any specific product you need to put on it.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:52 PM
S197_GTvert
2nd Gear Member

+1 ECR but like he said u should avoid keeping your top down for long amounts of time because beleive it or not the top shrinks and any soft fiber prush a mild soap and some elbow grease should get your top clean
Old 09-16-2007, 09:57 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

These guys have some good cleaner and protectant products. Known and highly regarded among boaters and car folks:
http://www.303products.com/
Old 09-16-2007, 10:16 PM
btorlv
2nd Gear Member

Ragg top makes a kit that has a cleaner and vinyl dressing makes your top look better then new. I dress my top about every 2 months.You can but the kit online @ Autogeek.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:27 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Most of the questions answered above. Don't forget to check out the Vert section too.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Just wondering where you got your information? (e.g., only put the top down 3 times a week). Is there a source or just your experience? Thanks.

ORIGINAL: ECR5.0

Not too sure about the average life of a top. I guess it all depends on the care that is put into it. From what i heard and correct me if im wrong about normal usage was that its not good to keep putting you top up and down during the day. If its down keep it down unless you really need to. Not sure if that makes sence. And on an average you might have the top down 3 times a week. As for cleaning i use a microfiber wash mit and soap up the top with some good car soap and then use an air compressor to dry it off and it seems to work well. Im not sure if there is any specific product you need to put on it.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I'm not the usual owner b/c my car doesn't see the elements, and is garaged. But I do take the top up and down probably twice a day on the days I do drive it. I always put the top back up at night to avoid wrinkles. It gets cleaned with regular car soap that I would wash the rest of the car with. Twice a year I use Maguiars low luster vinyl protectant and it always looks like new.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:56 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

TY for your input, didnt know the top shrunk, ill try to be mindful of it and ty for the cleaning supplies info too!!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:50 AM
BLD06GTVert
1st Gear Member

Care for the top depends on what year you have and what material the top is.

I believe the first year for the cloth top was 2007.

If you have a vinyl top, then the above comments ring true.

If however, you have the cloth top, you should NOT use any soaps at all...just water. Soaps will, oever time, discolor the nice black cloth top.

Enjoy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: convertible question?