Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:52 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default Exhaust Dilemma

As you see in my sig, I run the Borla stinger catback system. I love the sound of the stingers....pure muscle, smooth purring in the revs, low grumble when idling. That being said, I am also liking the sound of the Pypes mid-muffler system. I've also heard that the mid-muffler system does not have the drone that the stingers have. From the sound clips I've heard, it has a nice, smooth, old school muscle car sound, and purrs really nicely on shifts. When I first got my stang, I was looking for a true catback system, like the '99-'04 stangs had, where the muffler is before the axle, and you have pipes running out back. I was not able to find one for the S197, so I went with the Borla "catback" (the new catback evidently just means axleback + pipes). My dilemma is that I want to switch to the cheaper, true catback system (Pypes mid-muffler), but I'm afraid it's just not going to sound as good as my stingers. I love the way the stingers grumble and burble and purrrrrrr. I don't want any raspy sounds. My idea is to buy the Pypes mid-muffler and try it, and if I love it, I will sell my stingers (for profit.....they are expensive!), and if I like my stingers better, I'll sell the Pypes system.....shouldn't be hard to sell either.

Speaking of selling....anyone want a Pypes off road H-pipe with only about 50 miles on it? I ordered one from Brenspeed on Sunday for $174.99, it arrived Thursday morning, I installed it Thursday afternoon, I drove it for about an hour that night, and then I decided that it's just too loud with my stingers (my stang is my dd...daily driver). Don't get me wrong, the H-pipe sounds sooooo good! It's just more noise than I'm willing to have. I'm taking it off today...or tomorrow if it doesn't stop raining (no garage), and I think I'll sell it for $120 + shipping. I don't know how much shipping will be. It's abig box and weighs 24 pounds. I'm assuming about $35 with UPS.

Anyway, I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on my situation. Has anyone heard stingers and the Pypes mid-muffler? Can you compare the two? Thanks. I appreciate all the advice I get from my fellow forum members.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:39 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Dilemma

There are some current threads about the Mid muffler system so check them out if you haven't already.

I think the Pypes O/R H with the Mid muffler should sound awesome, Brenspeed has a sound clip
Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Ok, I've changed my mind. I'm keeping my stingers. I just took off the O/R H-pipe...in the rain. What a pain it was to return back to stock. That stupid front right-side O2 sensor adds about 30 minutes of work to the job. It's nearly unreachable unless you take out the battery. Anyway, I started her after the stock pipe was replaced, and ....Oh Baby!!!! .....that sweet sound was back! I like the Pypes mid-muffler still, but I'll have to enjoy them vicariously through others because my Borlas are just too sweet.

BTW, a guy is buying my O/R H-pipe.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:10 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

good choice.....pypes mid muffler system is nothing compared to the mesmerizing rumble of our Borlas!