Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about K&N CAI

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:53 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about K&N CAI

I was thinking about getting one of these..
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=63-2565

But I was wanting to know if you have to re-tune the car after installing it.. I know with some CAI's in requires it but havent read anything about doing so with a K&N...

Oh and my dad was wanting one for his GMC Sierra.... so knowing if the car needs to be tuned after instlaling or just put it in and go... would help me a lot.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about K&N CAI

You don't have to but I have found some cars develop a lag while some don't. As for your dads GMC have him trade it in for a Ford and he'll have more power.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

lol!
he didnt want a F150.. He was hooked on those F250 for a long time but decided they were too rough on gas for his job.. He fills up at $80 a tank of gas.. 3 times a week, sometimes more..

He used to be into muscle cars and all that when he was younger and hasnt really had anything to do with them now.. doesnt talk about them or anything but now that Im wanting a mustang GT, and I show him videos of other peoples... He'll sit there smiling while hes watchin one burnout... So it looks like I got an extra set of hands whenever I want to install something on my GT d

I was thinking about gettin that CAI for his truck for him for Xmas... So if his does need to be tuned, he'd just have to take it to a auto shop? and does it cost a lot to have it tuned.... or is it something we could do at our house..... like, is it easy to tuneyour own car?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:48 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

To properly tune it you'll need a dyno. There are places like Brenspeed and B A M A chips that sell tuners with preloaded tunes in them that will work great with the mods you have or get. Not sure though about your pops truck. With K&N their intakes are still the same diameter around the Mass air flow so the sensor doesn't pick up more air going by. You can get better gains with a JLT type intake that actually does flow more.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

It's weird but they don't mention needing a tune in their Installation Instruction Sheet!
I'd recommend one, as will most folks here.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:35 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

I ran the K&N CAI for almost a year. I initially ran this CAI without a tune and I didn't detect any lag in performance, in fact, in ran pretty good!

Then Doug customized a tune to squeeze out the most performance out of it. Again, ran strong, no issues.

I have since stepped up to the C&L Racer and love it! [8D]
Old 09-22-2007, 02:29 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

I am selling one of those if you interested, it ran fine on my car with out a tune. I have recently replaced the main intake tube. So it only has a 1000 miles on the tube.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:48 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

I heard K&N intake is the only one that does not require a tune on this car. The good thing is they don't lie about their hp increase either so you know what you're paying for. It's a pretty decent intake for the price
Old 09-22-2007, 10:38 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olvanish

I heard K&N intake is the only one that does not require a tune on this car.
Airaid is another CAI company that makes one for the 05-08 GT's.
http://www.airaid.com/450-172_ford.asp

C&L also has a Street version which uses a sleeve of the same size MAF body, thus also claiming a 'no-tune' option.
http://www.cnlperformance.com/notune.html

Old 09-22-2007, 11:48 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: olvanish

I heard K&N intake is the only one that does not require a tune on this car. The good thing is they don't lie about their hp increase either so you know what you're paying for. It's a pretty decent intake for the price
Nope not at all, there are MANY that dont. TB mention 2. There are more though
MRT
BBK
GMS technically
S&B
AFE
AEM
MAC

Some of these are not as weel know but are available from most of our vendors. I would never run a CAI without tune no matter what they say!

Quick Reply: Question about K&N CAI