Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Assassins
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang Warrenty

Hi, I was wondering if I could do my own oil change and still not void the warrenty. My brother bought an Alero and he got a certificate signed saying that he can do his own Oil Change and Filter and Brakes and it wont void his warrenty. Can ford do that.

PS. he ask the Mananger of the dealership for the Certificate.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:06 PM
cheysdaddy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Warrenty

I've never heard of doing non-warranty work on your car yourself ever voiding a warranty. They don't cover that stuff so as long as you do it in the intervals they suggest you should be fine.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Assassins
1st Gear Member

oh really

So I can change my oil and tires and brakes and it void the warrenty/
Old 02-21-2005, 03:42 PM
am1scott

NO, it will not void the warranty as long as you follow the manufacturers recommended interval and use the correct specification replacement.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Lubricant
1st Gear Member

What about changing the exhaust, suspention and adding a system that changes the stock radio?
If the engine fails, would the blame the mod's and not perform the warranty work?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:12 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

If they can prove the mods caused the problem they CAN void the warranty but if they can not prove then they CAN NOT void the warranty.
ORIGINAL: Lubricant

What about changing the exhaust, suspention and adding a system that changes the stock radio?
If the engine fails, would the blame the mod's and not perform the warranty work?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:13 PM
am1scott

The Moss-Magnusson Act covers buyer and seller warranty rights for all consumer goods. What the act esentially says with regards to the customer is that A seller cannot require a specific brand of replacement part so long as it meets or exceeds original quality. The seller also bears the burden of proof to prove that any non original part directly caused a specific failure. Basically if you install a part that meets or exceeds the original specifications then you would be safe, unless the part was installed incorrectly and the incorrect installation caused a failure. For example, they could not refuse to do warranty work on the front suspension just because you had an amp and subs installed in the trunk. If you installed a cat-back exhaust they cannot refuse warranty work on the air conditioning. I don't think there is any modification that could void the entire warranty...unless maybe you damaged it while racing at a track and they had proof.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Lubricant
1st Gear Member

Ok good.. So a set of headers, cat's and mufflers should be no problem....
That saleen exhaust with the valves looks good..
I just dont want BS from the dealer if my computer is giving problems, and they try to screw me..
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

WOW. working for FORD and knowing all the warranty issues. This is just funny to read. lol.

You have a basic warranty. 3yr/36k miles. Unless you purchase a extended.

So here it is. They can actually not honer youre warranty if you dont service it at a dealership. Here is how it is, say you change youre oil with other than 5w-20. Or you dont keep recipts that you actually DID change youre oil. Then youre engine ****s the bed. lol. Well, the dealership has no records of you changing youre oil. They will now make you pay. A good thing would be to, even buy youre oil at the dealership. Or i buy mine at Wal-Mart ( I know everyone had one near by. lol) Its FORD/MOTORCRAFT oil and its cheap. lol. And keep youre recipts and put youre old oil change sticker in youre book. So you have a record.
Also i would keep track of anytihng you change. Because if you put any kinda aftermarket, oil, oil filter, trans fulid, powersteering fluid. It will void it for that certain part. Not alot of dealership will get right down and dirty with the whole warranty thing. But some will. So watch out and be prepared.

AND NO, they cant void youre entire warranty. lol. The dealership decides if they want to honer youre warranty for a certain part. And then they usually have a rep from FORD come down and check out the siuation.

If you put cat back exhaust and youre engine blows up, they will find some dumb technical way to blame you.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Assassins
1st Gear Member

So all you have to do is keep your recipts? What about this oil change sticker?

Quick Reply: Mustang Warrenty