Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rims = Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 PM
TDSjr

Default New Rims = Problems

Evening Fellow Stangers

Just purchased new rims for my Mustang and now I'm having issues, Looking for a little help! Car is an 07 GT Convertible. Purchased a set of Mach 1 style rims from American Thunder. Drivers rear seems to stick out about a 1/2 inch further then the passenger side and at speed the car seems to shimmy ( technical term). Just dropped it off at the local garage but I'm asking if anyone else has had issues with rims from American Thunder???? Not sure yet if it's the rims, tires (Nitto 555's), or something in the pumpkin. Any thoughts????
Old 10-15-2007, 07:35 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Rims = Problems

Drivers rear seems to stick out about a 1/2 inch further then the passenger side
Switch rims right to left, if it still sticks out, that's the way your car came from the factory. You'll need an adjustable panhard rod to fix it. You may not have noticed with the narrower, stock rims.

at speed the car seems to shimmy
Most likely a wheel is out of balance. Have a shop rebalance the front wheels, if both are out of balance, then do the rears too.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:39 PM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

Switch the wheel that sticks out to the other side, if it sticks out on the other side as well then they sent you the wrong offset wheel. It may have been misboxed by the manufacturer.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:40 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

+1 on the panhard. Is the car lowered?

On the shimmy make sure they check and make sure one of the sensors isn't loose.

It's real fun when the strap breaks at about 80 mph[:@].
Old 10-15-2007, 07:55 PM
TDSjr

Thank you all for the replys!!!

Game plan is to remove all four tires from the rims, check all the rims, check the tires and go from there. Just bummin because till I get my baby back it's driving the War Wagon.

Car is not lowered ...yet! Only mods are SLP Loudmouth exhaust, the above mentioned rims and under drive pulleys.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

When you removed the stock rims, did you also remove the little retainer clips that are on the studs? Each tire has one clip, and it will cause your aftermarket rims to wobble. Take your rims off and remove the clips, and I bet your problem will be solved.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 PM
TDSjr

War Machine~ Thank you!!!! I'll throw that out to the mechanic! I hope that's all that is!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

+2
Old 10-15-2007, 08:44 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Did you switch the tires from the right to left? If so, I'm not sure about Nittos, but my bfg's are directional and I wouldn't be able to switch front driver's side and passenger side. Could this be the shake?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:48 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I hope so too. I read about those clips on here a while back, so I knew to take them off when I got my rims last month.

As far as the half inch alignment of yourleft rear...you're probably going to want to get an adjustable panhard rod to line it up. I'm running 295/45/18 in the rear with Roush rear springs, so it was a must unless I wanted the misalignment to show really bad.

Quick Reply: New Rims = Problems