Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Muffler Enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Default Mid Muffler Enthusiast

Ok, this if for anyone really. Its a Mid muffler idea and need some opinions on it. I've had Pypes Violators, then MBRP axlebacks. Wasn't satisfied with either. So I purchased Classic Chambered Powersticks as a mid muffler dressed off with SLP LM for the rear. Love the sound, especially at WOT, but upon cold start, its just too dam loud for me anymore.

So what I want to do is replace those mufflers with something that will keep the deep tone I already have, but quiet it down a touch. Borla makes a nice XR 1 race muffler,its a 5in round body,compared to the 3.5 round powersticks I have now.
My concern is that might be too close to the body or gas tank and could pose a safety concern, maybe!

So my other idea is to put in a singleFlowmaster 80 Series, dual inlet/dual outlet. Its dimensions are 4 x 9.75 x 18.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/80_series.html

I'm convinced this muffler will give me what I want, both decibal level, and deep tone. My concern with that one is not the 4 inch height "since Pypes Mid Muff system use a 4in round muffer" but its the width. Basically there will be 9.75 inches of body, 18 inches long that will be generating heat now. It just considerably more mass than just two round bullet style mufflers, whether they are 3.5 or 5 inch round.

So my question to everyone is, do you think it would pose a problem? My current setup has the mufflers partially under the gas tank, but mostly under the floorpan. Since this muffler is a little shorter than what I have now, I figure I can move them forward of the gas tank. I'm positive it will generate more heat inside the cabin but that's not a big deal.

Does anyone thinks this is a bad idea? I have the money to buy it. Compared tobuying twoBorlas its a 1/3 the price. And I know from previous gen owners Flowmaster does offer a unique sound.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:04 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mid Muffler Enthusiast

im so lost, can you go through the front to rear order of your current and ideal setups?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:18 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

I'm lost here too!!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:26 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Ok, wellI hopethis make anymore sense. I currently have A. Thinking about B or C.

A. Classic Chambered Powersticks2524SB- Style round, 3.5in diameter, 20in case length, 25in overall length
B. Borla XR 1 Race 40842S - Style round, 5in diameter, 10in case length, 14in overall length
C. Flowmaster 80 Series 42582 - Style oval, 4in diameter, 9.75in wide, 18in case length

A. Moving front to rear, I have my powerstick mufflers between my H and the rear axle. Then have SLP LM axlebacks behind the axle.
B. The Borla idea, removing my powerstick mufflers and putting these in there place. But they1.5inbigger in diameterthan my powersticks, meaning they will be closer to the body of the car.
C.The Flowmaster idea, its one muffler, basically a regular oval style muffler, with two inlets and outlets. It has simply more body mass than just using two individual bullet or glass pack style mufflers. So even though its 1insmaller in diameterthan the borla, I'm worried it will generate more heat since there simply more mass.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:41 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Here is a comparison between my current Powersticks and the Flowmaster. Granted the pictures are not to scale exactly but shows the Flowmaster having more body mass

I screwed this picture up. The powerstick is 3.5in diameter, 20 case length, and 25 overall length.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:46 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

just get the mid muffler system and save your self the trouble of trying to explain this to us
Old 10-18-2007, 07:34 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Nevermind. Its not rocket science. Simply just a larger muffler. Best way to get an answer is just do it I guess. If I burst my tank and die in flames as result, at least I can say I asked first.

And honestly, I don't like the Pypes system. Heard it, not impressed. Great deal, but I'd rather keep my car a little different than the rest.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:41 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

i know what you're asking, i went to my dads friends body shop before doing it. i wanted to use the borla xr1 mufflers but his friend said they would be too close to the body and would pose a risk and might rattle against the car a lot so ultimately i went with borla stinger axle backs and tomorrow im installing an offroad prochamber
Old 10-19-2007, 06:44 AM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

So where would you mount this single Flowmaster.....directly beneath the drive shaft?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:35 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Pretty much. That would be the only place to put it. I'm still very leary of doing that muffler so last night I bought Magnaflow's universal 4in round #10436. That way I know it'll fit with no safety concerns. Plus they are 22in length so I'm hoping that will give a nice deep tone. I find out next week.......if I'm not happy with it, well its only money I guess.

Quick Reply: Mid Muffler Enthusiast