Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about pinging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 PM
blackonblackstang

Default Question about pinging?

Hello everyone.
I have an 07 GT with the CAI and tune from Brenspeed. I run the 91 tune and usually put 92 octane in from BP. My question is what does the motor sound like when it is pinging, and what is actually happening to make that sound? The reason that I ask is because sometimes my engine makes noises at higher rpm's but only when I am getting on it. If I ease it up to 4500 to 6000 range there usually aren't any sounds. But when I really get on it, (floor it) thats when I hear it. I changed the tune to the 87 and it still does it sometimes. It sounds like loud valves tapping to me but I am not sure. If you have any help I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 PM
04 40th gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Question about pinging?

I have just a tune from them, 89 Octane, and notice the same thing, except from 5000 to 5500 RPMs. With the same stipulations. No noise when easing in to the pedal, more noise when really getting in to it. 2nd and 3rd mainly for me.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:56 PM
blackonblackstang

Same 2 gears for me also but I have never been that high in 4th. Does anyone have any ideas and is this pinging that we are hearing?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I have the BBK intake and 93 octane tune from Brenspeed. Haven't noticed the sound you describe at all but it makes me curious. I'm going to listen a little closer next drive. Is this sound loud and noticeable, or do you really have to listen closely? Could it be you are hitting the rev limiter (although 04 40th GT indicates the sound happens at 5K). Please give an update if you figure it out or maybe talk to Brenspeed and let us know what they say.

I haveseen afew other posts about pinging in the S197 Mustangs, so maybe its not an unusual situation.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:53 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I have a 93 tune and use Ultra 94, I get some noise on hard shift as well, I was told it was harmless drive train noise??
Old 10-22-2007, 07:05 PM
blackonblackstang

I'll email Brent and see what he has to say... It is very noticable to me when it happens and I let off right away. I just wondered if this sound was the pinging that I have heard of or if it was somthing else.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:04 PM
MustangSal
1st Gear Member

Isn't pinging...detonation either pre or post ? sounds like pouring marbles in a toilet bowl or something to that effect, and yes its very bad for your engine especially when you hear it....bahh im no expert on it im sure some other people here know how to really explain it.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:11 AM
04 40th gt
1st Gear Member

I mention my 2 cents yesterday on another post about this question that happened to be an older post. I have found that in cooler weather that the noise in second goes away. The noise is faint in 3rd. It goes away once it passes the 5000 to 5500 RPM range. I did talk to Brent via e-mailand he said to send him the information back from the tuner and the car and he will make a few adjustments. Have yet to do this, work takes valuable time away from the car. Go figure.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:21 PM
blackonblackstang

I emailed Brent and he answered today, very quickly as usual! I emailed him back my info also and he is going to make me a revised tune. He did mention somthing interesting though. He said not to use an ethanol blended fuel. Here in Iowa, I guess that I never realized that this would affect things since ethanol gas is all you ever see. I guess that I will have to hunt for some stations that have gas without the ethanol!

By the way, Brenspeed's customer service is by far the best that I have ever dealt with. Brent does a great job and I recommend them highly!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Uncle Peepers

The marbles in a toilet bowl is a pretty good description; I think of it as coins in a glass jar. Pinging, as opposed to detonation, is also called spark knock or pre-ignition. It occurs when the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chambers begins its burn prematurely before the piston has reached the top of its travel. So what you have is the piston still coming up when the fuel burn begins which is trying to force it down. You can see why this chain of events, over time, is not good for the engine.
It's usually caused by gasoline with an octane rating that's too low for the compression of the engine. Things that can cause it to happen are going uphill, very hot weather, orshifting too soon with a heavy foot on the accelerator.
Most auto parts stores sell octane booster (a substance called tolulene). If you wonder is you've got pinging, try adding some of this stuff to the gasoline, and see if the sound goes away.

Uncle Peepers

Quick Reply: Question about pinging?