Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll cage.................

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Default Roll cage.................

For those of you with a roll cage. How much did you spend?
I got a price at me local speed shop for $1500.00 installed. That included the better material and both swing outs along with full padding.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Roll cage.................

anyone?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:28 PM
MustangSal
1st Gear Member

Errrr....how many points and what material ? Better material meaning chromolly ? 6 point ?

If that price is for a 6 point 1 3/4 chromolly roll cage...then Ill do it for you cheaper

Make sure its not just bolted in....when we do it we weld the one edge of the plate to the inside rocker panel and the inside area bolted through the floor sandwiched with another 1/8 thick plate welded to your after market frame connectors. If available.

Although I guess that price isnt that bad for swing-outs. But may I ask why swing outs ? I know it may be your daily driver but swing-outs are a serious weak point, you wouldnt believe how bad the car flexes and all that flex is going to concentrate on that joint and your chassis wont be as stiff as a fully welded 6 point and yes its a difference you can feel.

hope I helped
Old 10-23-2007, 07:32 PM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

I will be building my own, so I can't help you there
Old 10-23-2007, 07:59 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MustangSal

Errrr....how many points and what material ? Better material meaning chromolly ? 6 point ?

If that price is for a 6 point 1 3/4 chromolly roll cage...then Ill do it for you cheaper

Make sure its not just bolted in....when we do it we weld the one edge of the plate to the inside rocker panel and the inside area bolted through the floor sandwiched with another 1/8 thick plate welded to your after market frame connectors. If available.

Although I guess that price isnt that bad for swing-outs. But may I ask why swing outs ? I know it may be your daily driver but swing-outs are a serious weak point, you wouldnt believe how bad the car flexes and all that flex is going to concentrate on that joint and your chassis wont be as stiff as a fully welded 6 point and yes its a difference you can feel.

hope I helped
That's a fair and average price for the swingouts. The bracketry for the swingouts costs about $200 each.

Sal is right about the integrity drop with swingouts and you will notice it whendriving cause you'll get a little rattle but if it's a daily driver, then I think they are the best bet. It is a PIA without them.

Personally I have the swingout on the driver side and a solid on the pasesenger. (don't care about passengers too much...lol) I also have my mounts tied into the subframe connectors for extra strength that I lose with my removeable rear bar. I paid $1600 for my set-up.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

It is an 8pt welded chromoly.
Yes I know swing outs aren't as good, but I drive my car a good amount. Besides I will hopefully be going somewhere in the mid to low 11's. Nothing crazy like low 10's or 9's.
Also, this is not a kit. It will be hand built for my car.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:03 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

That is a great deal for an 8pt chromoly!

Just one question is why an 8 pt? a 6 point is good to 10.0 and and 8 pt is going to suck on a daily driver. If you don't want to cut up your dash, you'll have the bars coming down in front of the dash and seriously ruin your cabin space on a daily driver.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

I think that is a good price. I paid a little more for my 6 point in moly.
I had the car back in two days though.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

From what I understand, the 8 pt will not cut into the dash. 2 points in very rear, 4 points behind seats and 2 points in the front

I figured 8pt, so if I decide to be stupid later on with power, at least the cage will be done.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Where do you think those "2 points in the front" are going to go...lol

The "4 points in the rear" are 2 points behind the seats and 2 points in front. An 8 point will require you to cut through the dash or run along the front of it with a bend. Either way, an 8 point will ruin a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Roll cage.................