Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maryland Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

Default Maryland Inspection

Does anyone from Maryland know of a good "mom & pop" type service/inpsection station? I just bought a 1975 Ford F100 with 32,000 original miles that I'd like to use as my winter driver so that I can park the Stang. It's not perfect - it's an old truck. But, I just want to take it somewhere where they're not going to pick it apart.

Any suggestions?

~Fletch~

Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Maryland Inspection

I forget the name of the shop but there is a shop directly across from Commercial Tire in Elkridge. They hooked me up many times when I got busted for my lift kit on my truck. Not sure about safety inspections but that's where I would go if I were in youe shoes.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:41 PM
kthulhu
1st Gear Member

I think your truck may be old enough to qualify for "historic" tags in MD (25 years or older), in which case I think you can bypass the inspection. It limits how many miles you can drive a year, but that shouldn't be a problem for a winter only ride. And I think you might also get a break on insurance that way as well.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 PM
torqjnky
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kthulhu

I think your truck may be old enough to qualify for "historic" tags in MD (25 years or older), in which case I think you can bypass the inspection. It limits how many miles you can drive a year, but that shouldn't be a problem for a winter only ride. And I think you might also get a break on insurance that way as well.
+1 on Antique tags. I had antique tags on a 1965 Shelby Cobra that I had. No state inspection required, miles are in fact limited (you will have to check your states laws). I think it's only a one time regestration fee also. Insurance was $300 a year through a classic car insurance company out of Connecticut.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kthulhu

That's partially true. It does qualify as historic, which means that I can bypass inspection. However, on the historic plates form you sign off saying that "A historic registered vehicle cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses.".

I suppose I could drive the Mustang on days that the weather is bad or supposed to be bad. And drive the truck on the others.

Of course, everything would be easier if I could just get it inspected and put regular plates on it. That way I could garage the mustang all winter.

~Fletch~
Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 PM
kthulhu
1st Gear Member

Driving it in the winter sounds "occasional" enough.

Either way, good luck.