Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best tires

Old 11-10-2007, 06:04 PM
TrIpOd
3rd Gear Member

Default best tires

what are really good performance tires that come in 235/55/17 or close to that? thanks
Old 11-10-2007, 06:40 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: best tires

Pirelli pzero AS

On the street tires are tires for the most part. You can't have your cake and eat it too no matter what the tire companies would have you believe. On the street you aren't going to get as much heat into a performance tire to make it work the way it is designed anyway - and if you are you are likely to get arrested for doing it lol.. What little gain you will see with performance tires on the street will be lost when you replace them in less than half the time of a good all season tire.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:42 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Nitto Invo.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

i like my pirellis that came on my gt take offs good grip for an all season tire. i had falken zeix before that great grip for a summer performance tire. ive tried a lot of tires over the years on different cars and even on the street under occasional spirited driving conditions you will see a difference in traction between a high performance summer tire and an all season performance tire. why spend all the money on suspension and engine mods if the car wont stick. unless you just want to do burnouts.my four cyl ranger can spin the tires.....who cares.....you want to impress me with performance you better be able topull a front wheel off the ground at launch or pull a full g in the corners!!!! yeeeha!!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Many people rave about the Goodyear F1 for an all season tire. When you say "really good performance" what are you looking for - true ultra grippy, summer only tires or more like high performance all season's?

To get the really high performance tires you will probably have to change size a bit, something like245/45 - then the Nitto NT555s start to look good. Not something you want in the snow though. I have Sumitomo HTRz II - they blow when its cold and wet (kind of feels like I'm in a Drift car )but really nice when hot and dry. Keep in mind that the ultra performance tires are usually uni-directional, thus you can't rotate to opposite side and, like one of the other guys said, they don't last as long.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:39 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I like my Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires, but I'd like to have them in the 255/50/17 size. I don't think they make them though.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:48 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

the stock pirellis are not that good, i cant see how people like them, the KDW2s and F1 are great for summer and even in the rain, they do not like the cold and I would reccommendgetting different tires/wheels for colder weather, even if its not gong to be driven in the snow, the cold will still take their toll on the tires
Old 11-11-2007, 09:09 AM
2k6silvergt
2nd Gear Member

Depends on when you drive it. Howarmat offered good choices with the BFG KDW's and the Goodyear F1's. I also know there are a lot of people who like the Nitto 555's. I only drive mine in the summer on days it doesn't rain so I plan on getting a set of Nitto 555's for the front and 555R's for the back.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:17 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

555s are also good....there are other good tires also, but in most opinions the stock pirellis are junk
Old 11-11-2007, 09:23 AM
mikeei

Bridgestone Potenza 050a, Had these as 17"s on my last car and now have them in 18"s on the stang, excellent summer and ont the track.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best tires