Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paxton/Vortech Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Red face Paxton/Vortech Install Question

My supercharger aspirations + cams is leaving me firmly in the price range of the Vortech/Paxton blowers. I will only have $5-5,500 to spend on this project, and want to get the most bang for my buck. And I don't necessarily mean highest HP to $$$ ratio.
http://www.brenspeed.com/v3vortech.html + Detroit Rocker Cams (for the noise of course ) and a few visual goodies just about maxes out my budget. I will self install everything

so to avoid paying $$$ out my behind to buy alot of extra crap, I am researching my options and making sure I really want this setup.

barely 1 hour into it though, and I've already run into an issue...i think

On my 2009, the CMCV is molded into the intake unlike the 2005-2008 guys. I've been digging through the installation directions from Vortech and there is no mention of removing the CMCV or modifying it...seems you only remove the intake to modify the coolant crossover pipe.

So does the Vortech utilize the CMCV system? I thought it got removed from the posts I've seen here on MF. Or am I just corn'fused?
If it does kill the CMCV crap...does that mean I have to buy a 05-08 intake and CMCV delete plates?

TIA
Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

and for those who have that Vortech system installed...what if anything did you have to buy extra for a running dependable car?

I am not in the mood to play mix n' match games anymore. That and I deploy all the time, so I won't have a ton of time to chase down parts
Old 04-30-2010, 08:32 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

I'm thinking of doing the same thing bro, from what I heard or read is that we do need the older intake with CMCV deletes however don't take my word for fact you should probably call Vortech for advise, let me now how it goes.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 AM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

You don't need delete plates, but it's a good mod to do while you're there.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

My 2009 had the plates still in. The end result is you can feel a little "shudder" when getting on heavy throttle at lower RPMs. I talked with Brenspeed about it a few times, and received this reply from Brent himself via email:

"> You are feeling your IMRC's open. If you noticed them when they are closed
> they are small. Little air is ran through the intake and little engine
> timing. When they open much more timing is added along with added air. With
> a blower this is very noticeable. You could install charge motion delete
> plates which would eliminate a lot of what you feel and offer a bit of a
> power gain as well. Between the boost coming in hard at around 3K and the
> IMRC's slamming open at the same time it does feel like a power boost
> especially at light throttle. Even at light throttle they still open at
> around 3K. We can make a tune to make them open earlier, but you will still
> feel it just at a different RPM."

HTH
Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

so it's molded intot he intake manifold?? that sucks. See if you can just get a stock intake manifold from someone. I think I saw one on the classified sections on this site. Shouldn't be too expensive. I took off my delete plates before the supercharger install and it made a good difference in throttle behavior and with the blower on, it powers on through the power band. Sounds like it'll work with the vortech, but like what was mentioned, the transition is gonna be pretty rough..
Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

FRPP or C&L intake manifold FTW!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:30 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

yeah, an earlier intake with the delete plates will bolt right up. I"m using a '07 or '06 intake with delete plates, on my '09 engine. (I'll be selling the intake and plates in a couple of months.)

The vortech kit should have everything you need. Personally, I'd opt for the 'tuner kit' and just get fuel injectors separately and use your SCT or Diablo if you already have one, and get a good custom tune for the setup.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

thanks for the info guys. that issue you are talking about Mudflat is exactly the sort of thing I want to avoid.

damn it, got to add the Steeda Delete Plates and find a 05-08 intake now. Junkyard here I come...S/H from the Mainland will kill me. If i can't find one local, I may just have to suffer with the damn CMCV system.

anything else worth mentioning that I should be on the lookout for. The last blower I installed was a true breeze. I did a Roushcharger on my F-150 and the only thing I had to purchase was a tool to undo the fanbelt.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 PM
JonStolo

Save yourself a whole lot of trouble and just spend the money on a roots type supercharger. It will replace the whole intake manifold anyway and none of this will be an issue. They are more daily driver friendly and give a much better power curve than the centrifugal supercharger. Then just save up a little longer for the cams if needed, or vice versa. If you are doing the installs yourself, the cams are no sweat, so it won't be a doing double work if you add them later. Also, if you get all your parts from Brenspeed and use an SCT programmer, they will update your tune for free as needed.

Last edited by JonStolo; 04-30-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Paxton/Vortech Install Question