Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick exhaust question for you boosters!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Default Quick exhaust question for you boosters!

I want boost. I know I am all talk, but someday I will get it and for now all I do is research. I look for components for the overhaul at the best possible prices.

Anyways, I figure long tube headers and an x-pipe will be necessary to squeeze every pony out of the blower. These allow the engine to exhale the increased amounts of exhaust due to the increase in air and fuel.

What about cat-backs? I know our cat-back system is pretty efficient being composed of 2.5" mandrel bent tubing, however, do people that run boost upgrade to a bigger diameter pipe? I have looked at the Magnaflow 3" system with Magnapacks.

Since I mentioned the Magnaflow 3" system, does that mean it will not fit my car since the 2.5" diameter x-pipe will dump into a 3" pipe instead of the stock 2.5" cat-back(aka fitment issues)?

Since I am assuming many people don't upgrade the cat-back system, I will be happy with the axle-back version instead. I was wondering if there was a company that just sold the Magnapacks.

Your help will be appreciated!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 PM
07mustanggt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Quick exhaust question for you boosters!

I know a guy that just ran stock shorties, stock h-pipe, and then loudmouths and he ran 12 psi on a whipple with 475 rwhp so it's fine if you just run the 2.5 inch no problem, but if you are wanting every extra pony you can then run a full exhaust
Old 11-27-2007, 10:10 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

which FI are you gonna go with
Old 11-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

Waste of money! IMO The stock pipes will work fine for the street with any FI you get.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:17 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree unless you are looking to go way past 500RWHP you are fine with 2.5 inch exhaust. The x-pipe is a personal opinion and does yeild a little more HP but has a different sound from the H-pipe. LT's are great as well but many have seen only 10-15 RWHP from them and the cost to benefit ratio is not worth it to me. I have 450+ RWHP and have the stock CATS, exhaust manifolds, and even have a side exhaust which many say you lose HP (even though all bends are mandrel bent) and the whole exhaust is 2.5 inch diameter. You can get magnaflow magnapacks from their website (Magnaflow) which is what I have as like a mid set-up. Hope it helps. J

ORIGINAL: Meangreen1200

Waste of money! IMO The stock pipes will work fine for the street with any FI you get.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

u don't need the LT headers if u r getting a turbo..but LT is good for S/C..
go O/R X-pipe if u need a loud sound.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

I agree unless you are looking to go way past 500RWHP you are fine with 2.5 inch exhaust. The x-pipe is a personal opinion and does yeild a little more HP but has a different sound from the H-pipe. LT's are great as well but many have seen only 10-15 RWHP from them and the cost to benefit ratio is not worth it to me. I have 450+ RWHP and have the stock CATS, exhaust manifolds, and even have a side exhaust which many say you lose HP (even though all bends are mandrel bent) and the whole exhaust is 2.5 inch diameter. You can get magnaflow magnapacks from their website (Magnaflow) which is what I have as like a mid set-up. Hope it helps. J

ORIGINAL: Meangreen1200

Hey Jason,long time no see buddy...how's ur S/C?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:58 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

No problems at all....was running a bit rich on start up and when cold but that has since been changed w/ another tune! Yeilded 465 RWHP!!!!! after...(much cooler though than this summer)
Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

yah i love my o/r-x sound and I think the lack of cats will come more into play with the extra exhaust off a boosted engine. Anyone have any hard numbers on the %HP increase you get from LT headers over Shorties? I am assuming its a percentage of your base horsepower with the blower until the exhaust it can handle maxes out and you start building backpressure into your engine.

Lemme know if someone has a link to exact HP comparasins for LT verse shortie headers
Old 11-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

which FI are you gonna go with
Probably the Saleen.

Quick Reply: Quick exhaust question for you boosters!