Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gear installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:08 AM
JewStangGT
2nd Gear Member

Default gear installation

so my friends and I always do installation ourselves...

I've been aching for harder acceleration, and I know everyone will agree when I say that modifying your car is addictive. We decided on rear end gears. I plan on eventually going boosted so for street use 4.10s may be too much. I will probably end up going with 3.73s unless the 4.10 people can convince me otherwise. The problem is I don't know where to start for the rear end. I was curious if anyone here installed gears before and if you may have a write up or just plain tips lying aroun d before we get started. also required tools that someone with a large toolbox might be missing. your help is appreciated.

Alex
Old 11-29-2007, 05:16 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Default RE: gear installation

I don't think that you should install gears yourself unless you have experience in doing so. There is A LOT of room for error in a gear installation and your asking for a headache -- if that backlash is off slightly your gonna hate the whine you get and could be asking for potential damage to the rear end. I say find a reputable shop in your area and have them do it just to be on the safe side. If you're adamant in doing it then I wish you luck and tell us how it went.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:20 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Caution

I don't think that you should install gears yourself unless you have experience in doing so. There is A LOT of room for error in a gear installation and your asking for a headache -- if that backlash is off slightly your gonna hate the whine you get and could be asking for potential damage to the rear end. I say find a reputable shop in your area and have them do it just to be on the safe side. If you're adamant in doing it then I wish you luck and tell us how it went.
+1 be careful
Old 11-29-2007, 09:44 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I agree leave it to the pros....well worth the $400 for a headache free mod....but get the 4.10s.....there is not problems with them at all, decent gain and no harm done to the MPG really...i see no drawbacks unless you sit in 10 miles of stop and go bumper to bumper traffic everyday for work
Old 11-29-2007, 10:59 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I agree leave it to the pros....well worth the $400 for a headache free mod....but get the 4.10s.....there is not problems with them at all, decent gain and no harm done to the MPG really...i see no drawbacks unless you sit in 10 miles of stop and go bumper to bumper traffic everyday for work

I disagree with the 4.10's not hurting the fuel economy. But, they will help in stop and go traffic. Help get you rolling easier so better mpgs in that senerio.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I went from 3.55 to 4.10 and the kick in the butt is satisfying.I highly recommend 4.10s for a NA car, it gets you into the powerband much faster. Since you are 2006 GT you probably have 3.55 installed now? Thus a change from 3.55 to 3.73 will not be dramatic but from experience I can tell you the change to 4.10 is.

However, if I had a plan to go FI in the future I may have re-thought this. Since you are thinking about FI, you need the opinions of people who are currently FI and have 4.10s. If I were you I'd consider how long until FI, if its two years from now...go with the 4.10s. If its next month, stay where you are and wait to see if you want to change.

Regards doing the install yourself - maybe you are a great mechanic, have done rear ends before and don't anticipate any problems. But let me relay my experience: I had the 4.10s installed by a guy who has done 300+ Mustang gear installs (this is at a nationally recognized Mustang performance shop). After the first install there was nasty gear whine during de-acceleration from about 40mph. Took it back. They pulled that rear end apart and put together again FOUR times before they got it right (they did a test drive in between). They even called Ford for advice. They finally made an adjustment that was slightly outside of recommended specs (something about backing the pinion gear out slightly)...problem solved and they are standing behind their work. To me...this was way worth the cost of the install, no way would I want to potentially deal with a problem like this.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:35 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I disagree with the 4.10's not hurting the fuel economy. But, they will help in stop and go traffic. Help get you rolling easier so better mpgs in that senerio.
Yes but you have 3.31 and drive all highway....i actually gain about 1 mpg since i do alot of city driving, my change from 3.55 to 4.10 didnt make that much a difference in highway MPG either though, maybe 1 -1.5 mpg highway
Old 11-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Doing your own mods gives you a nice feeling, but installing gears in these carsis not for do-it-yourselfers. Just too many varibles involved.....leave this one for the Experts.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:20 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Definitely leave this one to a qualified rear end guy. The slightest error can cause big problems.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:36 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, i agree with everyone on taking it somewhere to get installed.

Quick Reply: gear installation