Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 03:16 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Caliper paint

What brand should i get and how long does it take to dry, im replacing my rotors and bads and doing a rotation so i figured id paint too.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Caliper paint

I believe the brand i used was dupont. I put on about 3 coats tuesday around 5 and i left the car in the garage and didnt drive it till about noon on wed. Now i dont think you need that long to dry but with as many coats i put on i wanted to make sure it was 100% dry lol.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:22 PM
d4rb
4th Gear Member

I just painted mine yesterday. I used the Duplicolor kit you can get at Autozone. The results were pretty good. I would say you should let it cure for at least 4-6 hours before reassembling everything. The paint gets rubbery as it cures, and you can push it around, messing up the finish.

I did 2 coats per caliper.

Here's what it looks like today:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...ipers_full.jpg
Old 12-01-2007, 03:23 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

I clear coated mine and let it sit over night, not a bad outcome. I used the high heat paint (spray) and put on a couple coats, next time I using G2 from Hubcapsplus.com.
Supposed to ber good.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

The duplicolor one is good.

If you have jackstands you could do two wheels in 30 minutes, let em dry for another 30, and then do the other side.
If you do one coat on one wheel, go do the other wheel, then come back to the first wheel it will be dry and you can put on a second coat..

Its easy.. You can tape off areas you dont want to paint with the paint tape in the kit..

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I painted my calipers Blue because i own a vista blue stang but how do you guys think red on a blue stang would look?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

I like it..

can you tell how it looks from the sig?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:27 PM
luvs2gofast

I have a 06 Redfire GT and the first time I painted mine I used the Dupli color form AutoZone and it wasn't 3 months before it started to flake off. About 4 months ago I bought G2's product, in custom color redfire to match my car, and I am very please with it. I'm not knocking Dupli color but I have heard a lot of complaints and met a lot of people having the same problem I had. You can get any custom color paint for the mustangs through G2.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: d4rb

I just painted mine yesterday. I used the Duplicolor kit you can get at Autozone. The results were pretty good. I would say you should let it cure for at least 4-6 hours before reassembling everything. The paint gets rubbery as it cures, and you can push it around, messing up the finish.

I did 2 coats per caliper.

Here's what it looks like today:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...ipers_full.jpg
Glad you decided to do it, it looks sooo much better!!!

I used the duplicolor paint on kit also (only black) and did 3 coats with a dry time of 15-20 minutes between each coat. I left the wheels off for 2 hours and then didn't drive it fro 24. I probably didn't have to wait that long but I have a jeep also so it's I just figured I'd make sure they were dry.

I used jackstands to take off the front wheels and then did the rears another time. Just make sure you clean the calipers really well or the paint will end up flaking off. I used dawn in some water and scrubbed them with a toothbrush. Then the caliper cleaner from the kit right before actual painting.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:40 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

My vote is for DupliColor...worked great for me....

Quick Reply: Caliper paint