Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Griggs GR40 Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default Griggs GR40 Suspension

I'm about to toss my s/c plans out the window and invest in the Griggs GR40 (street) f/r suspension setup. It's different from anything I've seen and I'm wondering how well it works in a street application. I had all but pulled the trigger on an H&R coilover setup and Fays2 watts link until I saw this.

http://www.griggsracing.com/product_...roducts_id=443

If it can make an S197 handle like this.... jesus. I hate the stock suspension on this car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzpDOFOvdek
Old 12-03-2007, 01:20 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Griggs GR40 Suspension

Well the video is not of an S197 so whether GR-40 kit can make an S197 handle like that is still a question I guess.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

You might try contacting either "RodeoFlyer" or "F1Fan" - both of whom seem to have lots of track experience and are very knowledgeable on suspension. They may be able to tell you directly about the GR40 setup or put you in contact with someone who can. You could also contact Griggs and ask for references...afterall you would be spending a lot of cash with them if you purchase.

Sweet vid clip - thanks for posting.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I've seen some of F1fan's postings and he does seem to know his way around mustang (and other) suspension in general. I may give them a pm after doing some more research and contacting Griggs. Thank for the info.

And yes, the video is of Griggs' GR40 SN95 mustang cobra, not an S197. It seems like they really worked the problems out of the S197 underpinnings though. The front setup is prob so expensive due to the tubular k-member. Supposedly the stock K wasn't deemed strong enough for them. Not sure if it would be sufficient on a "street" car. I'll probably shell out for the rear setup since thats what I'm most disappointed with at the moment...
Old 12-03-2007, 02:28 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

True, but from the research I've been doing lately, an SLA setup is much better in the twisties than a strut system because SLA's don't change camber list struts do during travel. If my research thus far is correct, then dumping money into the front, rather than the rear, would yield better results sooner than doing it the other way around. Unless, of course, you're just interested in traction (like drag), then by all means, spend the loot on the rear.

Norm Peterson also knows his way around.. I have a post on here asking about a Watts Link https://mustangforums.com/m_4264331/tm.htm(I'm unhappy with the stock suspension). Griggs was mentioned, as were SLAs and the GR40. But yeah.. $6500 for a tubular SLA rig, well, that's my blower budget right there.. Maybe that's NEXT winter's project..

In any event, that's just my VERY loosely informed $.02, don't base your build on it. LOL
Old 12-03-2007, 02:45 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

I have been trying to make it to their facility which is at infineon raceway in cali. Its only a little over an hour from me. From talking with them this far, you should just go ahead contact them and they will be able to meet your goals most likely. If you give them a call you will be able to setup a demo with their s197 gr40.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yes! I'm interested in rear traction. I'm really tired of the wheelhop/rear kick that this 3-link has. The front is bad too, but thats not what isreally bothering me at the moment. I think a good set of coilovers and some MM camber plates would make the front livable (w/o spending the $8k on the GR40).

I did see that they give free demosof the car/system, but I'm not planning a trip to California to see it. I'm just looking for the best rear suspension setup for these cars. So far the GR40 looks like it. The only rear watts/torque arm setup I've come across.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:19 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rubrignitz

If it can make an S197 handle like this.... jesus. I hate the stock suspension on this car.
Wow! I have never heard of the Virginia City Hill Climb. I guess it's an annual event since 1972. I live in Reno, NV. "Geiger Grade" is the name of the road, which starts in south Reno, and heads up to Virginia City. That video link you provided makes the road look like any normal road. It's not. The curves are a lot sharper than they appear, and the hill is quite the climb......especially in winter.

So, I would say Griggs suspension appears to be of high quality.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

There is a video out there of a GriggsS197 running this same course or a similar one. It's an amazing video to watch.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Dutcherman
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

There is a video out there of a GriggsS197 running this same course or a similar one. It's an amazing video to watch.
heres the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Y1xpTYXUU

Quick Reply: Griggs GR40 Suspension