Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Griggs Racing S197 running everything down

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:57 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Griggs Racing S197 running everything down

Aaaactually - no, you CANT do it piece by piece exactly. The rear can be done piece by piece, but the front is a one time deal. You may be able to buy the components seperately, but they don't work with stock stuff. For the front end it's at MINIMUM a $6500 or so plunge. I specificly asked John Griggs if they were planning on a correected strut setup and he said no, but the rumor is that they are. It's absolutely the BEST money can buy, but hardly practical for a street car IMO. On a race car it's still quite an investment considering Robin Burnett claimed second in at the NASA championships in his S197 with nothing more than some Steeda bolt-ons. Of course that is because the GR40 kit wasn't available yet either LOL. It is absolutely beautiful and built better than anything there is however - PERIOD.

If only I had $15k..........................
Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I stand corrected. You're right, the front end is a one-time deal (@$6500). I'm not sure that I want (or need) to do that much. Knowing myself though, I'll probably shell it out eventually. However, I planto upgradethe rear over the next few months and copy the griggs setup. The rear traction issue is my main problem/concern right now. From what I hear though, once you do the rear modificationsthe front end becomes blaringly obvious that it needs work too. I'm also concerned with having an "unbalanced" suspension. I don't know... I'm going to do whatever Griggs recommends within about a $5k budget limitation for the rear and see what works...
Old 12-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

I specificly asked John Griggs if they were planning on a correected strut setup and he said no, but the rumor is that they are.
Corrected strut setup? Sounds interesting. Maybe that will come along over the next 6 months or so. Right now,the rear end on this car needs some work really bad and I have to do something about it.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

Until that video shows the Acura in the rear view mirror disapearing in the background, It's just a video of a guy passing some cheap budget racecars, catching up to them on the straights. Ever heard of the spec neon racing? just 'cause it's a 'racecar' doesn't mean it's fast.

Griggs stuff appears to be some really great stuff, but that video didn't show squat.

Tom
Old 12-05-2007, 04:38 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Man, that's a lot of dough but the suspension sure seems rock-stable in the video.

Sleeper2
Old 12-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Griggs is the suspension if your serious.
However most street guys are not "THAT" Serious.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

But I wouldn't mind takin a ST or maybe even TT pkg to Germany with meto tear into some Bavarian ***. I'm def in love with it. My eng/drivetrain may have a serious fight on its hands for the next 10-15K that comes alongIF I go back to Europe. But in the states its not that serious.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

True. I haven't had any issues until a Porsche decided he was going to show me up taking a turn near my home (a basic 90 degree w/ no stop). He took it w/o any concern at 50 mph. I tried to follow and therear end broke loose. Very embarassing. I thought,,, My 1987 Honda CRX could have made that turn!!!! My 1992 Honda Prelude could have made that turn!!! I decided right then that this suspension was crude and needed a lot of work.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:26 PM
GR40Freak

Hi guys,

I saw the thread and would like to help a little with some info.

The Acura race car in the video is one of two Factory Spoon Sports JDM (Japanese domestic market, aka. right hand drive factory race chassis) Acura RSX S race cars in the country. Its $225K and does very, very well in the USTCC.

It runs around Infineon doing 1:48s, not bad considering the NASA AIX record is a 1:45. It weighs NOTHING and has a good amount of power. Just to note: We were running in the 1:47 range that day with our GR40TT. So while the Acura didn't necessarily get "blown away", it did slowly disappear in the rear view mirror not to be seen again. It happened to be a test day that day, so there were a few different cars on the track.

The purpose of the day for us was not to play with other cars but to demonstrate the car to potential customers. In fact there was a passenger in the car when the video was shot. So if you think about it the GR40TT weighing 3521lbs. and then adding a driver and passenger weighed in the neighborhood of 3900lbs. Hardly race weight, after all it IS a street car with full interior, A/C, etc., was only two seconds behind the lap record.

Thats umm HUGE!

For reference I believe the Spoon car is 2400lbs.

My favorite thing to do is go to Porsche track days [sm=badbadbad.gif] There's nothing like watching a $115K Porsche disappear (quickly) in the rear view mirror of a Mustang. Its a sense of satisfaction that I cannot describe.

About the price of our stuff. It is expensive, but you get ALLOT. We use only the best materials and parts, and.... we warranty it for LIFE. Its supercar performance, in a MUSTANG for about $10-15K. And most people don't know that everything is manufactured in house, by hand, in Sonoma California (aka uber expensive). I appreciate every single one of our customers. Its a big commitment to do this to a car, but the results speak for themselves.

Something else I should address.. the ride on our cars is very compliant. Not harsh on the street by any means, much better than a Roush, Saleen, etc.. Firm and planted but doesn't make your kidneys hurt.

I'm in the middle of redoing our website (www.griggsracing.com) and creating parts kits that CAN be done in stages, like the rear of an S197 but the note about the front is correct. Everything under the front must get replaced at once, none of the stock stuff is compatible, but again the video and the times speak for themselves.

I joined the forum because I love and own Mustangs like the rest of you.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you

Colin Sebern
Griggs Racing

colin@griggsracing.com

www.gr40.com
www.griggsracing.com
Old 12-06-2007, 03:46 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Hummmm! Now what to do with that income tax return. And I thought I had finally figured that out.

Quick Reply: Griggs Racing S197 running everything down