Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any inventors on here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Any inventors on here?

ORIGINAL: Boozshey

How often do people just REFLASH your car without asking?!?!

I mean, the last time I got my car parked by valet; one he was so busy I am sure he wouldn't have had time to reflash my car and two he didn't seem to have a tuner in his pocket to take that high speed run down the 20 feet to the parking spot...
+1
Old 12-06-2007, 07:43 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

It's not a horrible idea. It would be nice for dealers...
Old 12-06-2007, 09:20 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Extra PCM hooked to a fake OBDII port thats installed
in the factory location with the real OBDII port up out
of sight under the dash. Tech reflashes the extra PCM
and not the vehicles PCM.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:18 AM
01Steed
I ♥ Acer

I think it'd be easier to just tell the service advisor to "DO NOT REFLASH THE PCM!!"
That request can be written/typed in righton the repair order. If you don't want a gratuitous reflash, you can simply state that.

That being said, I design things like this for a living, and it's not as easy to devise a locking mechanism for something like this as it may sound. What exactly would this lock's retention feature grab onto? Would you have to drill holes into something, etc?
Also, how many could you sell to justify paying for the product's development? I'm sure you could use something like this across many car lines, so it might be feasible. The real trouble is finding someone that is willing to foot the bill for the tooling, engineering and design, and marketing. That's alot of dough, bro. Believe me, I've gone through this process. That is not to say that it shouldn't be done. If you believe in it, go for it!! You probably won't get rich, but you might just make a few dollars and have something you can call yours!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

My idea would be easier as there are multi-contact keyed electrical switches out there (might not be easy to find but not impossible
then put the switch in a small plastic box and tape it under the dash

with this they could plug in their programer all they want but it won't do anything
ORIGINAL: 01Steed
I think it'd be easier to just tell the service advisor to "DO NOT REFLASH THE PCM!!"
That request can be written/typed in righton the repair order. If you don't want a gratuitous reflash, you can simply state that.

That being said, I design things like this for a living, and it's not as easy to devise a locking mechanism for something like this as it may sound. What exactly would this lock's retention feature grab onto? Would you have to drill holes into something, etc?
Also, how many could you sell to justify paying for the product's development? I'm sure you could use something like this across many car lines, so it might be feasible. The real trouble is finding someone that is willing to foot the bill for the tooling, engineering and design, and marketing. That's alot of dough, bro. Believe me, I've gone through this process. That is not to say that it shouldn't be done. If you believe in it, go for it!! You probably won't get rich, but you might just make a few dollars and have something you can call yours!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:39 PM
tungstenstang
4th Gear Member

nice find
Old 12-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

yes but needs work to be fool proof
ok heres an easy addition to this to make it work
make a bracket that snaps on the back of the connecter (or just fits tight on the back)
and on this bracket add 4 screw holes and also on the cover add some holes that line up with the ones on the bracket
then use an odd screw head (Torx, Security Torx, or Security Allen) then it will be hard for them to make the port accessable and they might read the cover
ORIGINAL: tungstenstang

nice find
Old 12-07-2007, 12:06 AM
MUS7ANG
1st Gear Member

i would have bought the idea more if you just said a port cover to keep the dust out.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Just out of curiosity, did that Red Loctite guy ever get his drain plug loose again?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Charlie321
Just out of curiosity, did that Red Loctite guy ever get his drain plug loose again?
yes he did
he took it out before it set (takes a day to cure)

Quick Reply: Any inventors on here?