Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leaking????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 04:53 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil Leaking????

HEY GUYS. NEW MEMBER AND OWNER OF A SONIC BLUE GT, MANUAL. DROPPED BY THE DEALERSHIP TODAY FOR MY FIRST OIL CHANGE (946 MI) AND ASKED THEM TO LOOK INTO "THE MISSING BOLTS" SITUATION AND MY SHAKER 500 (LAST DIGIT A) SKIPPING PROBLEM. I "WANDERED" BACK TO THE BAY WHERE MY BABY WAS SITTING AND THE TECH HAD JUST PUT HER UP ON THE LIFT SO I LOOKED UNDERNEITH AND SURE ENOUGH, NO LOWER BOLTS IN THE HEAT SHIELD! JUST THEN I NOTICED A SMALL AMT. OF FLUID ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE JUST IN FRONT OF THE HEAT SHIELD. WAITED AROUND FOR AN HOUR UNTIL I LEFT WITH MY WIFE AND WHEN I GOT HOME THERE WAS A MESSAGE FROM MY SERVICE ADVISOR SAYING THE "ENGINE MAN" THINKS IT MIGHT BE A LEAK IN THE REAR MAIN. BOOOO. ADVISOR SAID THEY'D CALL ME TOMORROW WITH MORE INFO AND PROBABLY A LOANER. MY QUESTION IS WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS IF IT IS A LEAK IN THE REAR MAIN AND HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM? COULD THIS CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS IN THE FUTURE IF THEY JUST REPLACE THE SEAL? ANY ADVICE/INPUT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Mid_Life_Crisis

Default RE: Oil Leaking????

Hey Dave,
I am going in for an oil change tomorrow and I printed your post. Every time I wash "her", I notice some thing "strings" of oil behind the front fenders, stretching back to the bottom of the door. It is oil, for sure. I am going to mention this to the dealer. My biggest issue is that I am having service and warranty work done at a local dealer, not the place I got it. I put about 1000 miles on her, right away, just driving to the place I got it, due to other problems. I had to get a new driveshaft, right away. It was humming like a monster truck with 44 inch tires. Warranty covered that too. I had to do some sweet talking and name dropping to even get them to touch my car. Keep us posted about the heat shield issue.

Getting older by the second![]
Old 03-11-2005, 10:03 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

The heat shield is a simple fix. Just look under your car and at the front of the tranny between it and the engine and you'll see where ford forgot to put the two bottom bolts in. They're supposed to be 3/8 but i'm not sure of the threading. Any way the service dept said they would take care of that no problem and they're looking into the shaker issue. For some reason i'm more concerned about the oil right now though.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mid_Life_Crisis

Hey Dave,
I am going in for an oil change tomorrow and I printed your post. Every time I wash "her", I notice some thing "strings" of oil behind the front fenders, stretching back to the bottom of the door. It is oil, for sure. I am going to mention this to the dealer. My biggest issue is that I am having service and warranty work done at a local dealer, not the place I got it. I put about 1000 miles on her, right away, just driving to the place I got it, due to other problems. I had to get a new driveshaft, right away. It was humming like a monster truck with 44 inch tires. Warranty covered that too. I had to do some sweet talking and name dropping to even get them to touch my car. Keep us posted about the heat shield issue.

Getting older by the second![]

Funny how the sales people tell us all that there is no more profit in just about any car to negociate the buying price anymore. That they make their real money in the service department. Then they don't want to service your warranty car ?? Makes no sense to me. I thought Ford was picking up the tab.

Best of luck with your oil leaks. At 1100 miles on mine. So far garage floor is clean.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12415/60DE3A5D22C6467BB90819F5A0AE9ADB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-11-2005, 11:03 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

I didn't mean to be unclear. The vehicle is still under warranty and ford will be picking up the tab but i'm wondering if there may be an underlying cause for the main seal to go if that turns out to be the problem. If anyone knows of something else that could fluid to appear at the back of the engine block i would appreciate the info. I wiped some with my finger but i could not smell if it was oil or something else. The fluid was a light brown to yellowish and the oil i saw when the tech started draining it out for the oil change was much darker. If anyone has any insight please let me know because my service dept. acts like this is the first 05 they've seen.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Lubricant
1st Gear Member

Yea, the mechanic drilled your heatsheild screws into your oil pan........
J/K

Could happen tho.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: DAVE05GT

HEY GUYS. NEW MEMBER AND OWNER OF A SONIC BLUE GT, MANUAL. DROPPED BY THE DEALERSHIP TODAY FOR MY FIRST OIL CHANGE (946 MI) AND ASKED THEM TO LOOK INTO "THE MISSING BOLTS" SITUATION AND MY SHAKER 500 (LAST DIGIT A) SKIPPING PROBLEM. I "WANDERED" BACK TO THE BAY WHERE MY BABY WAS SITTING AND THE TECH HAD JUST PUT HER UP ON THE LIFT SO I LOOKED UNDERNEITH AND SURE ENOUGH, NO LOWER BOLTS IN THE HEAT SHIELD! JUST THEN I NOTICED A SMALL AMT. OF FLUID ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE JUST IN FRONT OF THE HEAT SHIELD. WAITED AROUND FOR AN HOUR UNTIL I LEFT WITH MY WIFE AND WHEN I GOT HOME THERE WAS A MESSAGE FROM MY SERVICE ADVISOR SAYING THE "ENGINE MAN" THINKS IT MIGHT BE A LEAK IN THE REAR MAIN. BOOOO. ADVISOR SAID THEY'D CALL ME TOMORROW WITH MORE INFO AND PROBABLY A LOANER. MY QUESTION IS WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS IF IT IS A LEAK IN THE REAR MAIN AND HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM? COULD THIS CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS IN THE FUTURE IF THEY JUST REPLACE THE SEAL? ANY ADVICE/INPUT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Had the EXACT same thing happen to me with the leak. When I got my 2000 V6 brand new, first oil change they noticed a rear main seal leak... Fixed under warranty of course and not a drop -dropped since (87K miles) It happens...also had a cracked power steering pump pulley within the first month that made it sound like I had a card stuck in spokes when I drove. All I needed were those plastic things they put on bicycle handlebars hangin from my side mirrors and Ida been stylin'![sm=pimp.gif]
Old 03-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

lol... nice post. But i havent had any 05's with oil leaks, yeah it could be the rear main, could be heads, could be valve covers. Know knows. Step back in when its resolved. Also someone said something about strings of oil on their door.... I see people come in all the time with this. They run over some oil, grease. What ever while they drive and it kicks up on the driver/passengers side door, front fender area and they try to blame it on us. lol.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:11 PM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Well fellas I got my ride back today!!! Service advisor said they cleaned the fluid up and put a dye in the system and ran the car for a while and nothing leaked out. Don't really know what to think about that but I reluctantly took my car back. Good news is that my new Shaker 500 has been ordered along with the two bolts for the heat shield. They said when I come back in to get those installed they will check the leak situation again. Until then I'll be keeping a close eye on it myself. Thanks for everyones input, I'll let you all know what they say when i go back for my radio etc......
Old 03-13-2005, 12:52 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I had a new radio installed in my last car one time. Installer ran the screws into my A/C parts in the dash. Didn't discover immeadiately, was fixed, but, what a dufus!

ORIGINAL: Lubricant

Yea, the mechanic drilled your heatsheild screws into your oil pan........
J/K

Could happen tho.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaking????